M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the research phase of protective helmets. Any and all recommendations / guidance is most welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Buy an old ACH off ebay or a local Mil Surplus. I got one for about $80. You can replace the foam inserts inside for about another $50. You may think a bump helmet because that's what all the cool kids are getting, but, when it comes to bats and bricks, you gonna want those ears protected. They can fit comms/earpro as well, just need to get a tad creative with foam inserts and such. 3M pros fit, the slim series or Howard Leights, etc all fit.

I ordered new foamies today from a place, Oregon Aero Store, they supposedly have super comfy foamies for inside.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy an old ACH off ebay or a local Mil Surplus. I got one for about $80. You can replace the foam inserts inside for about another $50. You may think a bump helmet because that's what all the cool kids are getting, but, when it comes to bats and bricks, you gonna want those ears protected. They can fit comms/earpro as well, just need to get a tad creative with foam inserts and such. 3M pros fit, the slim series or Howard Leights, etc all fit.

I ordered new foamies today from a place, Oregon Aero Store, they supposedly have super comfy foamies for inside.
that sounds like good advice. I had to look up “ACH”. I’ll give this a look. What type of protection do these offer against gunfire? Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would sure hate to defend myself from an ambitious prosecutor after having to defend myself from rioters if it could be shown that I showed up to said situation in any tac-gear. Another reason why I wear a full face MC helmet (and thus am at least carrying it when off the bike down town) even though my state does not require it. Even if you don't ride, nobody questions a motorcycle helmet - its safety gear, not tac gear.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would sure hate to defend myself from an ambitious prosecutor after having to defend myself from rioters if it could be shown that I showed up to said situation in any tac-gear. Another reason why I wear a full face MC helmet (and thus am at least carrying it when off the bike down town) even though my state does not require it. Even if you don't ride, nobody questions a motorcycle helmet - its safety gear, not tac gear.
what about the rifle you showed up with?

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,190 Posts
I sure as hell hope it would be different to a prosecutor if the bull crap popped off at my house, I heard those rioters/Antifa were going into some neighborhoods. But then again, the agenda is "they" don't want you to be able to defend yourself so all bets are off. Except you can bet your aZZ, if I heard noise then looked out and saw a bunch of Antifas outside I would be getting tac gear on as quick as I could (for defensive reasons obviously).
m14brian

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,190 Posts
I was also looking recently for something, seeing that there is an alarming number of extreme lefties that are getting guns, I was thinking about a level IIIA helmet with protection over the ears as well. Still looking, not cheap in the $350 - $500 range.
m14brian

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've been looking into Helmets myself lately , also Rubber Bullets , 12 ga. multi round balls with my 9mm as back up , of course . In a pinch I also have some Motorcycle Helmets , if I cant find one I like or can afford for Ballistic protection. I was looking at this from Botach LongFri PASGT Ballistic Helmets

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Whatever you get, should have a sticker on it that says, "FALL DOWN, GO BOOM"

I say this knowing nothing about the OP's experience...

While apart from possibly making you a target in a riot, any helmet will be far better protection than nothing from bricks and maybe even flying deflected bullets or exploded debris. In terms of getting the right helmet, aside from the sticker, I have no valuable input aside from having one, if you in fact need it, with you, where you need it, is probably more important than having the perfect one.

But, adding to that, if there is serious contemplation of getting wrapped up in any scenario where blows or blunt objects are going to be exchanged, in chaos, if you haven't already, I would suggest training in some sort of real hand to hand combat of some variety where you actually get to roll and maybe even knock each other around a bit, if only to learn how to keep people's hands off of you, and starting immediately, because you're not going to get the muscle memory to make it useful in a couple months. Gear is nice, and if used properly is an asset, I do not doubt, and if you do everything well, the desired outcome is not not even be in the situation, let alone have somebody get close enough to become hand to hand.

But if somebody uses your helmet as a handle to yank you off your feet and take your weapon...

For that matter, if truly preparing for riots, cardio fitness and the ability to run wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whatever you get, should have a sticker on it that says, "FALL DOWN, GO BOOM"

I say this knowing nothing about the OP's experience...

While apart from possibly making you a target in a riot, any helmet will be far better protection than nothing from bricks and maybe even flying deflected bullets or exploded debris. In terms of getting the right helmet, aside from the sticker, I have no valuable input aside from having one, if you in fact need it, with you, where you need it, is probably more important than having the perfect one.

But, adding to that, if there is serious contemplation of getting wrapped up in any scenario where blows or blunt objects are going to be exchanged, in chaos, if you haven't already, I would suggest training in some sort of real hand to hand combat of some variety where you actually get to roll and maybe even knock each other around a bit, if only to learn how to keep people's hands off of you, and starting immediately, because you're not going to get the muscle memory to make it useful in a couple months. Gear is nice, and if used properly is an asset, I do not doubt, and if you do everything well, the desired outcome is not not even be in the situation, let alone have somebody get close enough to become hand to hand.

But if somebody uses your helmet as a handle to yank you off your feet and take your weapon...

For that matter, if truly preparing for riots, cardio fitness and the ability to run wouldn't hurt either.
Good for you. At last some good advice. The ability to run is a much-overlooked skill. In the heat of the moment phrases like "stand your ground" may come to mind but the ambitious prosecutor may have a different spin. Despite what the law "says" you're better off to retreat until you can' t and then use deadly force. We all like the 2nd Amendment but 6th is kind of neat also -- you get a jury and likely as not they do the right thing.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
If I am in a most scary predicament, it's scoot the boot for me.
I'll choose when to stand and fight.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Ok , I'll bit , what's with the, Fall Down , Go Boom ? I know I don't want to get knocked down to the ground in any kind of fight , unless I going there to dive for cover , but I've never heard that pitch .

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Ok , I'll bit , what's with the, Fall Down , Go Boom ? I know I don't want to get knocked down to the ground in any kind of fight , unless I going there to dive for cover , but I've never heard that pitch .
It's something little kids that were eventually forced to wear helmets for the sake of self-protection might often say to their parents, after they're done crying, to explain their distress. "Fall down, go boom."

In hindsight, I might have been one of those kids, though I didn't actually wear the helmet as often as I should have. That might explain some things, but leaves others untethered...

Translated to this context, it might switch order and direction. Same kid going 'Boom', somebody else falling down, though in such a case, maybe not so cute. Any humor aside, it'd be pretty horrible to get in such a situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts