M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some suggestions on a good source for bullets for reloading. Looking for jacketed, not plated; .308, .223, .40 and .45. Mostly ball. Maybe some Match in the .308. Been doing some internet shopping but thought I'd ask here since there are some very knowledgeable people.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
looking for some suggestions on a good source for bullets for reloading. Looking for jacketed, not plated; .308, .223, .40 and .45. Mostly ball. Maybe some Match in the .308. Been doing some internet shopping but thought I'd ask here since there are some very knowledgeable people.
Thanks in advance.
For 40, 45 and 223, I have been using and really like Extreme Bullets---here is their link: http://www.xtremebullets.com/default.asp

For 308, I have been buying from Weidners who usually have a pretty good selection including mil-spec stuff.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are we talking plink loads ? What's your mission parameters?
Yes, practice ammo and to replace some of my NATO/Ball stuff. I would use pulls if they were decent. Pistol ammo is just ball for practice, I have plenty of defense ammo.
I would also like to load a few hundred rounds of "quality" rifle ammo. Not necessarily match grade, but something with a better bullet and tighter tolerance loading. I see that Everglades has a 168g JHPBT.
The 5.56 I want to load 62g at the lightest, but would love to load some 70g TSX bullets for that "special application". I think there's actually a military round using that bullet. Very deadly.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thanks guys..has anyone heard of or done business with Everglades?
Heard of them, have them bookmarked, but have never purchased anything from them.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
First I'll say that I prefer to load for accuracy, so most of my comment revolves around match type seconds..... Why not ? The 2nds bullets price is reasonable and if they still shot better than Ball but not quite as good as match bullets.. I still come out ahead.... certainly the performance is worth some extra $'s to me..

One of my favorite places is RMRBullets.com. EXCELLENT service, fast shipping, NO BS, and fair shipping cost. Keep an eye on them, they just had pulled 168gr, 175gr Sierra Matchkings.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/308-762_c8.htm;jsessionid=D13724324E9ACBC9643CFAB63A3954C9.m1plqscsfapp03

And they also have , from time to time, pulldown HST's , Gold Dot and other High performance pistol bullets. Also Fed. Fusion Bullets for .223

Next is Noslers factory outlet. The exact comments from RMR apply here.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products.html

Blemishes, (always very mild on mine..) ,Overruns etc... The only thing I will say here is don't dawdle... stuff comes and goes everyday. ( so check as often as you can... )
They have their products far cheaper then any place else.

Reactions: sfoxwell

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First I'll say that I prefer to load for accuracy, so most of my comment revolves around match type seconds..... Why not ? The 2nds bullets price is reasonable and if they still shot better than Ball but not quite as good as match bullets.. I still come out ahead.... certainly the performance is worth some extra $'s to me..

One of my favorite places is RMRBullets.com. EXCELLENT service, fast shipping, NO BS, and fair shipping cost. Keep an eye on them, they just had pulled 168gr, 175gr Sierra Matchkings.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/308-762_c8.htm;jsessionid=D13724324E9ACBC9643CFAB63A3954C9.m1plqscsfapp03

And they also have , from time to time, pulldown HST's , Gold Dot and other High performance pistol bullets. Also Fed. Fusion Bullets for .223

Next is Noslers factory outlet. The exact comments from RMR apply here.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products.html

Blemishes, (always very mild on mine..) ,Overruns etc... The only thing I will say here is don't dawdle... stuff comes and goes everyday. ( so check as often as you can... )
They have their products far cheaper then any place else.
I agree about loading for accuracy. I think basic reloads can be "accurized" just by paying closer attention to the details which I tend to do just by nature.
Those are good leads...thanks sir. RMR seems to still have the 175 SMK's which I can run in other rifles.
Edited: oops, out of stock. Bummer. Good price.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
There is Re-loading and hand-loading! The target will tell you the difference!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For plinking pistol bullets why don't you just cast your own lead? Only time not to use it for pistols would be say a Glock since the barrel doesn't respond well to lead projectiles.
Rather not complicate the process. Not that casting bullets is "complicated", just that it's hard enough to find time to reload, let alone add another involved process.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks in advance.
That question is a little odd. If you are in NE TN, you live right there next to Wideners, Johnson City. Drive over there on Tue or Thur after 3:00 and pick up your order, no shipping chgs. They have bullets out the wazoo, from mil pulls, brand X, Serbian or Sierras.

Reactions: sfoxwell

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
For plinking pistol bullets why don't you just cast your own lead? Only time not to use it for pistols would be say a Glock since the barrel doesn't respond well to lead projectiles.

I cast 9mm, .45acp and .357 bullets. If you want to save money and have bullets whenever you need them casting is great! It is not just limited to handgun calibers either, you can develop reduced velocity loads for just about any rifle and shoot a cast bullet with a gas check. Once you figure out how it all works, casting bullets is fun! Not as much fun as shooting them, but it is enjoyable just like reloading.

I can cast 30 -35 200gr .45acp swc bullets out of one pound of lead. My cost is a buck a pound for wheel weight ingots, so my cost is .02 -.03 cents per .45 bullet!

Plus, once you figure out your load - accuracy is excellent with lead!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That question is a little odd. If you are in NE TN, you live right there next to Wideners, Johnson City. Drive over there on Tue or Thur after 3:00 and pick up your order, no shipping chgs. They have bullets out the wazoo, from mil pulls, brand X, Serbian or Sierras.
Thanks but their prices aren't that good plus we have almost 10% sales tax in TN.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts