M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some (3000) bullets a while back and I am getting ready to start loading some ammo.

I weighed several bullets and they are in fact 147 grain. While looking at them closer, they seem awfully long.

Now I know I bought these bullets from dealer and I am not sure they started life as a 7.62x51 (308). I can't remember what the add said anymore, but it was stated that they could be used in the above caliber weapon.

I am pretty particular when loading some new type of bullet, but these look way too long. Will that adversely affect anything?

The bullet measures - 1.262".

I measured a bullet from a NATO 7.62x51 rounds and the bullet is quite a bit shorter. - NATO 147 Grn - 1.131".

Is it safe to use the longer bullet to load for my M1A's?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
The length should not cause any problems.
Just make sure they are seated to operate through the magazine.

Also, I would not worry or bother with crimping them - just make sure there is enough neck tension so the bullet doesn't move when it is pressed firmly against a wood block.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The length should not cause any problems.
Just make sure they are seated to operate through the magazine.

Also, I would not worry or bother with crimping them - just make sure there is enough neck tension so the bullet doesn't move when it is pressed firmly against a wood block.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Jay, Thanks for the imput.

·
Registered
788 Posts
They may be the 147gr pulldowns from Pat McDonald which started life as a .311 bullet from a 7.62x54R round. They are longer because they have a mild steel core. Watch what you shoot them at! Pat had some of them resized to .308 and then sold them both ways. I haven't heard any reports but wish I had bought some of the .311s for a 7.7 Arisaka.

Eagle 1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts