M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One bullet that I used to use quite a few of, many years ago, was the Sierra 180 gn Spitzer BT. Checking , I have a few 100rnd boxes left on the shelf. Prices marked on them was $6.40 the last time I bought them. Just for the halibut I checked this morning for current pricing. Holy mackerel $42.99 and looks like almost everyone is out of stock/no back order. This was the most common bullet I used when I hunted. Now gone from everywhere. At least with the few I have left with the many boxes of commercial 150 to 180 hunting ammo in the stash, we won't starve. I think I may be dating myself.

Hunting bullets.jpg

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hello,
Yes, Art.
This dry spell is turning into a drought for sure. Time to conserve?. I looked at ammoseek last week, "nothing found" for any of the powders I looked at(30).. Amazing to say the least.

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We may have to look up some old formulas and start making our own.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Paying $6.40 for a box of 100 Sierra anything must have been a bit ago & even comparing it to last years prices would have given you sticker shock .

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No reason to buy hunting projectiles so I had no idea. I have been purchasing target bullets right along.

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Here is one for you Art, a box of 30-06 ammo I bought over 40 years ago from a place called Herman's Sporting Goods. $11.99 for 20 rounds and that was expensive for the day. Long before the internet when you actually had to drive to a place to buy something. Remember those days? Mail order catalogs? LOL

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
That’s the downside to being so well supplied Art. When you buy every 30 years in bulk you do see that price increase sticker shock.
And the boxes look different as well.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Just looked at some CCI SP primers marked $6.25 per thousand. I am almost out of them now. I always bought in bulk when I found a deal.

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That’s the downside to being so well supplied Art. When you buy every 30 years in bulk you do see that price increase sticker shock.
And the boxes look different as well.
Now, that's funny. Have been buying and shooting thousands of target bullets every year. Just happened to look and some of the old hunting bullets that I haven't loaded in at least 20 and thought the sharing of cost increase might be somewhat interesting. Don't think I have bought hunting bullets in at least 45 years.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Im still loading ammo with 60s primers and bullets and powder.....I don't think I will live long enough to get to my more modern components.
Now, that's funny. Have been buying and shooting thousands of target bullets every year. Just happened to look and some of the old hunting bullets that I haven't loaded in at least 20 and thought the sharing of cost increase might be somewhat interesting. Don't think I have bought hunting bullets in at least 45 years.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
When Hook got me into competition in 1980, across the river in Phenix City, Sierra 168 International Matchkings were $8.00 per 101 and IMR 4895 was also $8.00 a pound.

None of that $7.99 nonsense. I only saw that silliness at the gas pumps.

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not that long ago, maybe 10 years, at Camp Perry I bought a few cases of Federal 168 GMM for 11. a box and thought that was a decent deal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I laugh when they call me a hoarder.... good luck finding it now.
I take it as a badge of honor.

I've been reloading like a madman for the past two months rolling every component I have together and I've still got easily six month's worth ahead of me. And I am enjoying every minute of it.

Case prep from range pickups and once fired stock that I never walked away from seem like the new precious metals these days.

Still, primers are my main worry. Six months from now I'll run out of primers and pills ... I've got buckets and buckets of old lead wheel weights and unused 25 pd bags of shot that I'll cast and powdercoat into whatever pills I need ... but primers are another matter altogether.

Hopefully, by then, things will be getting back to normal but I doubt it ... I am of the mindset that we are living the new normal. I seriously doubt prices will drop on anything anytime soon. Not this year at least.

I've got so many "notify me" alerts in the pipe on Midway and Brownells, etc., that I am now checking my emails everyday, on the hour ... and still I get there late when something I really want pops back on the shelves.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back in the late 60's and early 70's, I called on Drug stores in Northern Oregon and Southern Washington and would buy their marked down ammo during their January inventory sales. $3-4 dollars for a box of 308, 30.06, .38, .357 magnum, etc. and I still have some. People thought I was nuts. Was I?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts