M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been a long time lurker and now have a question that I'd like to ask.
I used to have an LRB M25 topped with an old Mark 4 and that scope got it's licks from brass. Now quite a few years later I am about to pick up an XM21 and am searching for an optic for it. My question to you members that have one of these XM receivers is if your optic tube or knob gets dinged from the brass? If so would putting a mount that bridges over the receiver help?

Just looking for some ideas. I'm leaning towards one of them NF NX8 1-8x or the 2.5-20x. Neither of those have those extra long turrets like the Mark 4 so I hope that will clear. But let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,855 Posts
You have made a wise choice in an XM21. No doubt the best optic mounting solution ever. NX8s are fantastic scopes. I have one in 4-32 that I move around between rifles.
Got a bunch of XM21s with all sorts of different optics and never had a problem with brass contact. Nice thing about the M14 is that adjustment of brass trajectory is relatively easy. Last photo is of a Bula XM21 version one with the removable rail. Not many of those around. Whatta Hobby!

Wood Glove Grass Hammer drill Air gun
Wood Gas Cylinder Metal Auto part
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Shotgun Metal
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Trigger Air gun
Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exhaust Automotive design

Reactions: jjweb

·
Registered
537 Posts
A modern scope can take quite a bit of recoil but brass hitting it DIRECTLY is a no-no and will lead to a shortened life-expectancy of the scope.

Jarhead

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. So I picked it up the other day and I'm trying figure out scope ring heights. Since the XM21 mount is so low, to put a 50mm on there really needs some taller rings. Like 1.5" or greater. That's fine and all, I just don't have them in my parts box haaha!

But anyways, I've been looking into getting something lower power. I'm liking the 1-8x or 1-10x. US Optics has the 1.8-10x...but that starts to get long. My rifle is the 18" and I'm just going to stick to feeding it M80 spec so these new LPVO style of optics are really looking good. Anyways, I'll just keep babbling away. Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
With a NF NX8 4-32x50, Medium rings have been good.

You might be able to get low rings to work, or high(ish) low rings (like ARMS 22) with an LPVO where the ocular bell is the clearance limitation.

Which LPVO you might like best depends on what you're critical about.

I like the NX8 1-8x24, but it's not perfect, mainly edge clarity at 1x. I also like the Steiner P4xi 1-4x24 p3tr and Vortex PST 1-4x24, preferably with capped turrets, though, they don't have the span you're quoting, though not only less money, but better edge to edge clarity at 1x. SWFA HD 1-6x24 is nice, great reticle, though fish eyes a little at 1x and add half a pound to any of the previous, many others, but I like the reticles listed above, but you might like something else, so, pick your poison...

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Weight of the rifle/scope combo is a concern of my setups, but if primarily shooting from a rest/bench not that big of a problem. However, if you plan on being mobile it becomes a problem then or at least for me it does. A 1x6 optic is a sound one for me and found a Sig 1x6 MOA scope which included a solid mount for the rail at less than $300 at Midway USA. They sold out almost overnight and may well buy another one for an AR15 rifle I use when they come back out on the market. The scope is a civilian version that our military is using, but not in the military and suits me fine. Just a suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts