M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Considering a BULA traditional rifle recently and I have mixed feelings on the quality based of a few threads here. Did anyone on this forum by chance pick up anything new from them within 2022? If so, how was your experience working with BULA? Were you happy with the product? Trying to get away from SAI and this company seems to fit in the middle, thought I'd ask the community beforehand.

Does the NM barrel upgrade mean medium/heavy weight or is it still just a standard but NM quality?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Jeremy

· Registered
69 Posts
That’s really tuff….I wanted a Bula but the horror stories prevented me from gambling. I would have taken the chance if it were not from reading how many times a couple of members had to send their rifles back a few times before they had a working rifle. It would be nice if they had an active presence here to give updates and reassurance of CS. With that being said I bought an older SAI with all USGI parts and that was a safer bet. I know I didn’t answer your question…

· Registered
558 Posts
I’ve had a few Bulas put together from parts that went together fine and are great rifles. I’ve also had two Bula barreled actions that I had to send back to be fixed. First was a 19.25” barrel on one that had a gouged chamber. Bula replaced the barrel. Had another M21DMR that I sent back that had a mismachined bottom on the receiver. They replaced that receiver with another. Although I had those two problems, Bula was quick in helping me get them fixed. I am satisfied with my current 3 Bula rifles, but two of them were put together by skilled armorers, Jon Wolfe and TonyBen. They run like well-tuned machines, and are MOA accurate. If you are willing to have one built, I think you would be guaranteed to be happy with it.

With Bula, I believe NM means a medium weight barrel, but I could be wrong about that.

· Registered
28 Posts
Hello All,

Considering a BULA traditional rifle recently and I have mixed feelings on the quality based of a few threads here. Did anyone on this forum by chance pick up anything new from them within 2022? If so, how was your experience working with BULA? Were you happy with the product? Trying to get away from SAI and this company seems to fit in the middle, thought I'd ask the community beforehand.

Does the NM barrel upgrade mean medium/heavy weight or is it still just a standard but NM quality?

Jeremy
I purchased a Bula last September, mainly to throw some support to company who makes M14 parts. And I have built a rifle on a Rock ola marked receiver. The rifle I received from Bula was beautiful. Nice stock, made by Boyds. The finish was good, it seemed like whom ever did the assembly was cognizant of the just criticism originated from bad customer experiences. The action is very smooth, surprisingly so. And the trigger is amazing, better than a match worked over GI trigger, I think. My best prone, sling supported group was 2 3/8 inches at 200 yards...ten rounds. I like mine, just as much as I like the ones I have built.

· Registered
183 Posts
Hello All,

Jeremy
I have a new Bula 19 in NM and the build quality and dealing with them was a great experience. The NM is a slightly heavier barrel and as such cannot fit the wooden hand guard.

· Registered
60 Posts
I’m glad you started this thread. I’ve been looking at possibly getting one myself. I have the same concerns as yourself. I’m going to sit back and see if this thread will talk me into getting a Bula

· Premium Member
22,387 Posts
I have not had a single problem with any of mine. Other than the small run of bad barrels they had with rough chambers some time ago , I think that a very few of their rifles have needed to be sent back for repair since errors in production were corrected. So glad they are helping advance the availability of our favorite rifles. Whatta Hobby!

· Registered
136 Posts
I have wanted the left handed M1A since they introduced them. They ran a sale during the shot show and forgot to tell the people answering phones. Quite frustrating. Now I look at them and wonder what parts I would need to keep on hand.

· Registered
3,970 Posts
I have wanted the left handed M1A since they introduced them. They ran a sale during the shot show and forgot to tell the people answering phones. Quite frustrating. Now I look at them and wonder what parts I would need to keep on hand.
well, lets see;; Left hand Magazines ; left hand Bolt ; Left hand Extractor ; Left hand Ejector.; Left hand Op-rod; Maybe a Left hand Bolt Stop.

· Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
well, lets see;; Left hand Magazines ; left hand Bolt ; Left hand Extractor ; Left hand Ejector.; Left hand Op-rod; Maybe a Left hand Bolt Stop.
And a LH receiver, barrel, firing pin, hammer, cartridge clip guide, stock and handguard.

· Registered
200 Posts
Hello All,

Jeremy
I just bought the standard rifle myself about two weeks ago. Here are my initial impressions and issues- the flash hider, castle nut and front sight had specks of rust on it when you shine a flashlight on it. Not sure why, maybe because it was shipped in a gunsock. The flash hider is NM, not standard. I had a GI one on hand and swapped it out, and put the alignment gauge on it and it is GTG. They do this to avoid alignment issues with the barrel to flash hider. Their barrels are marked BDS, but started out as Shaw blanks, 1 in 10" twist, non-chrome lined. I had my GS install the Criterion 1 in 12" twist chrome lined barrel. Upon disassembly, the gas cylinder lock does not turn freely, it is very tight and had to be removed with a plastic mallet. It has a "4" stamped on it. Never seen that before. The gas cylinder plug is also a very tight. The spindle valve did not push in like normal, it had to be tapped in with a mallet and would barely turn with a screwdriver, as if it was machined too big. I replaced it with a GI valve and spring and it works fine, so I know its not the gas cylinder itself. The gas piston appears to be gray parkerized all over, which isn't possible with stainless steel, so I'm not sure about that. A standard polished GI one is only about $25; I'll probably replace it. The op rod and bolt seem to be a tight fit. The windage and elevation knobs are a tad bit loose left to right; they don't appear to be GI knobs; so may have to replace those as well. The trigger housing and safety are cast, not forged (as are the bolt catch and rear sight base, but so were the GI ones). The trigger appears blued with grind marks on the front of it. I had a spare GI safety and trigger on hand and swapped those out. I got a GI trigger housing on the way. The handguard is not GI and does not have the silver coating on the underside, so I swapped it with a GI one that is not so dark chocolate brown. I attempted to install the action in a standard GI M14 brown synthetic stock in new condition. I could not get the triggerguard to go past the half way point/clear the trigger for love nor money (but they generally all fit really tight in the brown stocks). After forcing it past the trigger, the tip is slightly offset from the hole in the trigger housing. One good smack on it, and it locked in place. I've done that 3 or 4 times now and it looks like someone went to town on the tip with a Dremel. I have a GI triggerguard on hand, and upon closer inspection and comparison, the tip of the Bula guard is shorter, wider, and not angled back to the right as far as the GI guard, and has imperfections up toward the D shaped cutouts (not visible when assembled). That tip looks completely out of spec to me. It fits the Boyd wood stock it came with just fine. Overall, the receiver looks to be as good as an LRB cosmetic, fit and finish wise, as I have had one before. I hope the sight knobs will work fine and however the receiver is machined underneath them isn't the issue and will allow them to be stationary as they should be; hope its the knobs themselves. I think the rifle is excellent overall, and I would buy one again, but it is kind of a bummer having to replace these parts for a $2150 rifle. I'm sure the cast parts will work fine, just forged is my personal preference. But the spindle valve and triggerguard issues need to be addressed and are a functional problem. Go ahead and get one, just know it needs a little tweaking, and of course everybody has their personal preference for parts/stocks. In theory, hopefully, the very tight fit of these parts and stock will translate into really good accuracy. Their rifles have a lifetime warranty and Jeff at Bula is very helpful; I've talked to him twice. I bought one of the dummy selector lock kits from Forceman (thanks Terry!) and am having the GS install it. Lastly, I installed a chrome silicone op rod and hammer spring; hopefully rustproof and more heavy duty springs. As stated earlier, the trigger pull is great; it is like 5 lbs. or a little less, not much takeup and breaks like a glass rod; almost surprises you. I will have the rifle back on Tuesday and will report on here later on as to its accuracy at the range with pics. Hope this helps.

· Registered
114 Posts
My FFL is Orion7, I've known them for years.
Still had 1 CMP m14 kit needing a barreled receiver w/ bolt.
For that kit, finally decided for a basic GI build.
BUT was waiting to see if something would come across in Orion7's shop, but nothing.
In shopping for a barreled receiver+bolt, for the CMP kit, prices were a bit nutty.

Heard good things about Bula. And looking at their GI build, it was just less expensive for a BULA built than using the CMP kit.
I bought the GI Bula in late July 2021 from Atlantic Firearms.
I did read someone else getting a Bula from AF that had some rust. But stuff happens. AF seems to sell a ton of Bula.
AF order arrived...folks at Orion7 did the inspection for me before I even called to say I was coming to get it.
(As much as they've heard good things about BULA a few years ago, they've never touched one, and were looking forward to seeing it.)
Orion7 told be come on down, it's a great one, but head spacing is a bit tight.

So mine was the first BULA they've had in the shop.
They do a lot of builds with LRB parts, (and a lot of refinishing) who is local to us.. but LRB lead time and pricing is insane.
An LRB barreled receiver w/ bolt is same price as a complete BULA GI model.
Orion7 liked :
the finish, the uniformity in the finish.
the stock FH (reamed well/clean and had a crown), which I had to change out to be NY legal, went with the LRB solution.
Stock, finished nicely, and not a fat stock , GI profile.
But for a tight HSing, they said everything else during the tech inspection was great.

They went through the whole rifle, cleaned and lubed.
The only problem was the rear sight, was all loose as a goose, needed to baseline for the 7clicks, tighten it up and it was golden from there on in.
Sight regulation at the range was as predictable as my other m14 and my m1 garands.
Picked it up, right to the range, not a hiccup.
I put lots of different surplus 7.62, LC 7.62, and commercial 308 through it, not an issue with any of the ammo.

They told me after getting a couple of hundred rounds through it, drop it off, they'd inspect again and clean again for me again.
I left it with them for a week, and they test fired it too on one of their range days (testing their other builds/tune ups / repairs).
Post range check up, a clean bill of health.
I'm happy a a pig in you know what with mine.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
My FFL is Orion7, I've known them for years.
Still had 1 CMP m14 kit needing a barreled receiver w/ bolt.
For that kit, finally decided for a basic GI build.
BUT was waiting to see if something would come across in Orion7's shop, but nothing.
In shopping for a barreled receiver+bolt, for the CMP kit, prices were a bit nutty.

Heard good things about Bula. And looking at their GI build, it was just less expensive for a BULA built than using the CMP kit.
I bought the GI Bula in late July 2021 from Atlantic Firearms.
I did read someone else getting a Bula from AF that had some rust. But stuff happens. AF seems to sell a ton of Bula.
AF order arrived...folks at Orion7 did the inspection for me before I even called to say I was coming to get it.
(As much as they've heard good things about BULA a few years ago, they've never touched one, and were looking forward to seeing it.)
Orion7 told be come on down, it's a great one, but head spacing is a bit tight.

So mine was the first BULA they've had in the shop.
They do a lot of builds with LRB parts, (and a lot of refinishing) who is local to us.. but LRB lead time and pricing is insane.
An LRB barreled receiver w/ bolt is same price as a complete BULA GI model.
Orion7 liked :
the finish, the uniformity in the finish.
the stock FH (reamed well/clean and had a crown), which I had to change out to be NY legal, went with the LRB solution.
Stock, finished nicely, and not a fat stock , GI profile.
But for a tight HSing, they said everything else during the tech inspection was great.

They went through the whole rifle, cleaned and lubed.
The only problem was the rear sight, was all loose as a goose, needed to baseline for the 7clicks, tighten it up and it was golden from there on in.
Sight regulation at the range was as predictable as my other m14 and my m1 garands.
Picked it up, right to the range, not a hiccup.
I put lots of different surplus 7.62, LC 7.62, and commercial 308 through it, not an issue with any of the ammo.

They told me after getting a couple of hundred rounds through it, drop it off, they'd inspect again and clean again for me again.
I left it with them for a week, and they test fired it too on one of their range days (testing their other builds/tune ups / repairs).
Post range check up, a clean bill of health.
I'm happy a a pig in you know what with mine.
It’s great to have an FFL that does a good health check for you up front.
That’s a luxury to have.

did they say what that headspace was ?

· Registered
114 Posts
It’s great to have an FFL that does a good health check for you up front.
That’s a luxury to have.

did they say what that headspace was ?
Yes it is. They normally do it on request and charge for it. Which is fine, they are in business, but even better that these rifles (Garands, m1 carbines, and m14's) are part of their main stream, is what is nice.
They wont do it for a modern shotty or bolty and other "modern" rifles per say.

Yes they did, I don't remember, but made a note, will have to look it up.
When I spoke to Bula about it at first (before purchase), they said they are reamed for use with both 308 and 7.62.
With the HS # in hand, I called them again, and asked, and they said , yup, that's what would normally be done.

Found my notes..
Bula HS 1.632

· Registered
3 Posts
Bought one with NM barrel from Atlantic Firearms last summer. Also have two Armscorps, and four SA. I wanted one with a machined receiver, that is the reason I went with Bula. I am happy as a clam with mine. Shoots a lot better than I can, but I am old and eyes aren't that good. The fit and and finish is great, the stock is good, now that I have had it for a while, it could use a coat of linseed oil. Great shooter and good looking gun. Would buy another.

· Registered
12,423 Posts
If all goes well today, I should be able to lay my hands on one I just got off of GB, well about 10 days ago. I will then have to wait nearly 2 more weeks to bring it home, state semi auto laws.

Its the T44e4 version with no hole and grooves for scope mount, strictly irons. Wood handguard.

UPS tried to deliver yesterday, but my FFL was out I guess and snow is very possible today as well. At best I may be able to see it today, tomorrow is probably more likely!:mad:

· Registered
114 Posts
If all goes well today, I should be able to lay my hands on one I just got off of GB, well about 10 days ago. I will then have to wait nearly 2 more weeks to bring it home, state semi auto laws.

Its the T44e4 version with no hole and grooves for scope mount, strictly irons. Wood handguard.

UPS tried to deliver yesterday, but my FFL was out I guess and snow is very possible today as well. At best I may be able to see it today, tomorrow is probably more likely!:mad:
best of luck with your new to you rifle... soo close yet so far, hate that feeling.
Let us know how it is..

I almost pulled the trigger on a 1YO Bula, decent price, person bought it, job status changed, and had to sell.
I called Bula on the life time warranty, and they said it's only for the OG purchaser. So spent the few bux more for new.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts