M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
SOCOM16, Benelli m4, HK MK23
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on which would be more accurate....a Bula m21 or their classic m14 with a sadlak steel optics mount. Im kinda leaning towards the classic for the ability to remove the mount.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Any opinions on which would be more accurate....a Bula m21 or their classic m14 with a sadlak steel optics mount. Im kinda leaning towards the classic for the ability to remove the mount.
With properly mounted hardware the model of the receiver M21 DMR, Standard or the XM21 has little to do with the accuracy of the rifle.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Adding on...

My guess is that it would be more important that parts were selected for best fit and it was properly assembled.

Then there's just the unpredictable 'voodoo' variance factor, which may be limited by the skill and diligence of the builder, but I think there's always some degree of 'shoot it and see' involved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be going with the NM weight barrel. Now do I want to make a crazy horse clone or do the Sage EBR....i guess both of which would require me to order the standard m14. Would love to have the disposable income to just buy all variants but that just isnt possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crazy Horse vs Sage is a question that needs answering first. Then there's barrel weight: standard, med-heavy, and heavy; and will a heavy barrel fit in a Sage?
Lots of questions.....
Just got off the phone with Sage.....as long as the barrel is mil-spec it will fit in the chassis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a mil-spec heavy barrel, as opposed to a medium heavy barrel? Inquiring minds want to know.
It only matters where the op rod guide mounts. Sage makes 3 guide rod blocks, standard, med heavy and heavy.....I think i misspoke and meant to say it will fit any receiver that is mil spec

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry for a small hijack, but has anyone had issues with the sidemount style of scope mounts? They have always looked a little afterthought to me, but perhaps they work just fine? I am planning a DMR type build, just to eliminate any sidemount play as a possible issue, but perhaps it's not as much of a problem as I thought...

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Sorry for a small hijack, but has anyone had issues with the sidemount style of scope mounts? They have always looked a little afterthought to me, but perhaps they work just fine? I am planning a DMR type build, just to eliminate any sidemount play as a possible issue, but perhaps it's not as much of a problem as I thought...
The side mount makes use of the surfaces that were designed with a mount exclusively in mind.

that isn't to say that a mount that makes use of those surfaces and other surfaces couldn't have an advantage.

But I don't remember seeing anybody having problems with mounts that use the bolt and two grooves, at least due to the mounting method.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Is there a mil-spec heavy barrel, as opposed to a medium heavy barrel? Inquiring minds want to know.
There are at least three "mil-spec" barrel contours.

There is an ARDEC drawing for the the standard USGI barrel

There are ARDEC and NSWC drawings for a "medium weight" match barrel that uses the standard USGI 0.800" operating rod guide.

There is an ARDEC drawing for a "heavy weight" match barrel that uses a "match" operating rod guide that is 1.00 inch in diameter (This is a press fit BTW)

Slope Font Parallel Triangle Circle

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
When it comes to the M14, all scope mounts were an afterthought. When the rifle was designed, the issue scope was 2x and any rifle that could shoot 3 moa was considered match grade. Night vision scopes were in their infancy.

With those parameters, two grooves and a screw hole were easy and acceptable receiver modifications.

Unfortunately, this quick fix came back to bite them in the the butt. As demands for accuracy and range grew, the military spent 40 years trying to turn the M14 into an acceptable battlefield sniper rifle.

Each attempt had it's limitations.

A friend has the Bula receiver with the integral rails, bolted into a Sage chassis. It seems to be rugged, accurate combination. The compromise is that you give up the iron sights. There are no free lunches.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I decided on the Bula paratrooper with Mod GI bbl and sage chassis. I will be selling my SOCOM 16 cqb probably to fund my optic...Now im just unsure if I want to stick with the aimpoint comp and add a magnifier or go with a traditional type riflescope (Schmidt-Bender or Leupold) Would consider an ACOG or VCOG also. Do any of you have any experience with any of these on this rifle platform? If I can shoot 5-600 yds on a man/deer sized target I will be happy.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Well I decided on the Bula paratrooper with Mod GI bbl and sage chassis. I will be selling my SOCOM 16 cqb probably to fund my optic...Now im just unsure if I want to stick with the aimpoint comp and add a magnifier or go with a traditional type riflescope (Schmidt-Bender or Leupold) Would consider an ACOG or VCOG also. Do any of you have any experience with any of these on this rifle platform? If I can shoot 5-600 yds on a man/deer sized target I will be happy.
Most excellent of choices.
Any of those optic choices should serve you well. Remember you can always make changes as you wish.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
A friend had an XM21 receiver that would not fit into a Sage chassis. Before I could tell him to send the receiver back, he had already filed and ground a good deal of metal from inside the chassis.

He eventually got the receiver to seat, but that isn't the way things are supposed to be done. It was a rare green anodized chassis.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts