M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was finally able to complete my ALL BULA build (minus a few USGI trigger parts and mid-70's SAI stock). I am very, very impressed with the quality of both the BULA the barreled receiver and small parts!!! I would highly recommend considering Bula Defense Systems if you want a quality M14 rifle.

List of parts used are as follows and were "new or "as new" condition:

(1) BULA Defense Receiver Serial # 5011 (2017): Headspace 1.632
(1) BULA Defense Standard 22” Barrel, Non-Chrome, 1 in 10 twist (2017)
(1) BULA Defense Connector & Pin
(1) BULA Defense Op Rod
(1) BULA Defense Op Rod Guide & Pin
(1) BULA Defense Bolt
(1) BULA Defense Bolt Internal Kit
(1) BULA Defense Chrome Firing Pin
(1) BULA Defense Bolt Stop, Spring & Pin
(1) BULA Defense Gas Cylinder
(1) BULA Defense Gas Lock
(1) BULA Defense Gas Piston
(1) BULA Defense Gas Plug
(1) BULA Defense Spindle Valve Assembly
(1) BULA Defense Front Band
(1) BULA Defense Flash Suppressor
(1) BULA Defense Sight and Screw
(1) BULA Defense Castle Nut
(1) BULA Defense Rear Sight (unmarked Windage, WCE Elevation-meters
(1) BULA (USGI) Hand Guard & Clip
(1) BULA Defense Clip Guide & Pin
(1) BULA Defense Op Rod Spring Guide
(1) BULA Defense Op Rod Spring
(1) BULA Defense Trigger Housing
(1) BULA Defense Hammer
(1) USGI Hammer Pin
(1) USGI Trigger Pin
(1) USGI Plunger Housing
(1) USGI Plunger
(1) USGI Plunger Spring
(1) USGI Safety (unmarked)
(1) USGI Safety Spring
(1) USGI Trigger Guard
(1) USGI Trigger
(1) USGI Stock Liner
(1) USGI Butt Plate and Screws
(1) SAI Walnut Figured Stock with Swivels
(1) Checkmate Industries (CMI) Magazine

The stock I used for this is a mid 1970's SAI that I took off my circa 1976 SAI rifle. I cleaned it real good with Starbrite cleaner, Whitener and then applied three coats of Starbrite Teak Oil. I think it came out pretty nice for a novice.

I would like to extend a special thanks to forum members CustomsCop and TonyBen for making this project a reality. Enjoy the photos.

The Once-Ler

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
Beautiful build, I like everything about that rifle!

Very well done!

M1Army

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
The stock I used for this is a mid 1970's SAI that I took off my circa 1976 SAI rifle. I cleaned it real good with Starbrite cleaner, Whitener and then applied three coats of Starbrite Teak Oil. I think it came out pretty nice for a novice.

The Once-Ler
Wow! That is beautiful! I've got some wood stocks and want to try to clean them up like yours.
Tell me more about this Starbrite please. Have a link on how to use, where to purchase, etc.?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! That is beautiful! I've got some wood stocks and want to try to clean them up like yours.
Tell me more about this Starbrite please. Have a link on how to use, where to purchase, etc.?
I used the Starbrite Premium Teak Care Kit Cleaner Brightener Oil Long Lasting #081216 which I purchased off Ebay (found the best shipped price to Alaska). The stock I used this on was an older SAI but in nice shape but I don't believe it had a lot, if any, BLO soaked in like the USGI stocks do. This cleaner works well on surface grime but I don't know how well it will deep clean a USGI stock. I believe my commercial stock was stained and I wanted to keep most of that coloring so I went with just a mild cleaning. The teak oil is one of the best out there IMO. If you have dark USGI stocks you may want to try Citristrip to really take your stock back to original wood then use several coats of the teak oil until you get your desired finish color. I am by no means an expert at this like other forum members but I wanted to try my hand at it. I don't have a lot of time so that also played a factor in the method I used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts