M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my research inspired by reading some of the threads on here I've stumbled upon the Bula Defense XM21 Receiver.

I've got a simple question, I think, that can be answered preferably by someone with hands on experience, maybe Tony?

Is the XM21 supposed to to; A) be a very convenient option for building a scope only rifle, or B) be a convenient option for a scope only rifle AND eliminate the variable of scope mount wobble/movement and thus improving accuracy?

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
In my research inspired by reading some of the threads on here I've stumbled upon the Bula Defense XM21 Receiver.

I've got a simple question, I think, that can be answered preferably by someone with hands on experience, maybe Tony?

Is the XM21 supposed to to; A) be a very convenient option for building a scope only rifle, or B) be a convenient option for a scope only rifle AND eliminate the variable of scope mount wobble/movement and thus improving accuracy?
I have found it to be B. However, there are lot of other things involved with improving accuracy. The XM21 receiver is just a good place to start. There are no free lunches.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts

It’s A and B.
Not A or B.

If you don’t require irons, it’s your best option.
At Jeff’s July 4 prices, it’s a no brainer.

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
It’s A and B.
Not A or B.

If you don’t require irons, it’s your best option.
At Jeff’s July 4 prices, it’s a no brainer.
I had hoped they would make a back up iron sight for these. I realize the idea was to make a dedicated scoped receiver, but I thought it would create more of a market for it if a guy could change back and forth from scope to irons, or have the option should the scope go belly-up. I suggested it to Jeff and Jon Wolfe. Never got a response. Even just a different part that would fit in existing BUIS setups for other platforms....GI2

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found it to be B. However, there are lot of other things involved with improving accuracy. The XM21 receiver is just a good place to start. There are no free lunches.
Thank you. Making my rifle as accurate as it can be is a constant work in progress. As I learn more about what contributes to accuracy I'll explore what I can do to mine. Recently I purchased gas cylinder shims and the sadlak op rod spring guide. Still waiting on them to arrive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even just a different part that would fit in existing BUIS setups for other platforms....GI2
You could just mount your rear peep sight further up the rail. You'd lose sight radius but you'd get the utility of BUIS. Although I'm not sure if you intend to use irons further than 100yds or not. I'd imagine groups would suffer with a smaller sight radius past 100yds. Could be a fun experiment!

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
You could just mount your rear peep sight further up the rail. You'd lose sight radius but you'd get the utility of BUIS. Although I'm not sure if you intend to use irons further than 100yds or not. I'd imagine groups would suffer with a smaller sight radius past 100yds. Could be a fun experiment!
The problem isn't where to put the BUIS, the issue is that there is no BUIS that will work with the height of the rail and height of an M14 front sight. At least, I am unaware of any that would fly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem isn't where to put the BUIS, the issue is that there is no BUIS that will work with the height of the rail and height of an M14 front sight. At least, I am unaware of any that would fly.
Right, I don't think any exist either that will line up with the front sight. I was suggesting to put a flip up front and rear on the forward most portion of the rain and the rear most portion of the rail, assuming you have an EBR.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I’m a fan of the Bula M21 receiver. It has irons and a bolt on rail that attaches to where the clip guide would be and the front of the receiver. The rail has a milled valley to allow for use of the irons. I’m going with this set up on a 6.5 CM with a Nightforce scope.

·
Premium Member
17,502 Posts
Thanks nf1e.

What's rifle setup and average MOA. That is a great looking 6.5 build!
Bula XM21 6.5 Creedmoor 22" NM contoured barreled action with all Bula parts kit with their unitized gas cylinder both from last Fall's sale sitting in a hydrodipped USGI fiberglass stock with adjustable cheekrest. SWFA SS 10x scope mounted with Leupold QRW rings, Harris type S bipod with lock lever, Sadlak heavy duty front rail with GG&G adapter for Harris bipod and SEI vortex muzzle device.
Average MOA is at .5 with handloads.

Semper Fi
Art

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
Right, I don't think any exist either that will line up with the front sight. I was suggesting to put a flip up front and rear on the forward most portion of the rain and the rear most portion of the rail, assuming you have an EBR.
No EBR's here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts