M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the Bula Defense Systems website has been upgraded. Listing of rifles shows pricing and an estimate of 2 weeks for a custom build. There is also some very interesting information about Bula on the site.

Congratulations to Bula.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Nice. 2 weeks worth of waiting is a cakewalk if that's what is actually their lead time is!

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
I went to their site, but only found complete rifles for sale, no parts, or individual receivers.

They also said that all their parts are forged, I guess they quit making cast parts. Before you order I would ask to be sure.

REN

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are they not offering stripped or barreled receivers?

I would suggest calling them with your shopping list. I believe the website is still under construction and hopefully other items will be added as time goes along.
They have been able to fill telephone orders right along.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I went to their site, but only found complete rifles for sale, no parts, or individual receivers.

They also said that all their parts are forged, I guess they quit making cast parts. Before you order I would ask to be sure.

REN
Same here. 5 items listed only, all custom build rifle options. They could make lots of cash from their parts if they were easily available.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Anyone recognize the brand of butt stock and riser that is installed on the XM21 LE tactical stock? It looks like a standard AR type item, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have gotten a couple of different composite stocks from them over the last few years that used standard AR gear.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Art, I have that composite stock with a DMR receiver, but only a simple Magpul adjustable for the butt stock section. I want one with an integrated cheek rest and the one on the XM-21 looks interesting as does yours.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I added the butt stock after I got the stock from Bula. Used the same one on a Savage Stealth.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just tried the sight and was told that that sight couldn't be found. Will try later. Thanks for the info.
I have a feeling they are still in the construction phase of the new website.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I like Bula's stuff, but at those prices why not just get LRB and good usgi parts. They would thrive as a middle grade product at mid range prices, but they are pricing their selves out of many potential sales I think. Maybe I am wrong. Time will tell. Having them as an option is a great thing though. If their price goes up, I hope the quality does too

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pretty sure the site is still being upgraded after being down the past three days. And their parts are forged. The price increase is $400 on average. Your getting a rifle made entirely in the US with forged steel and precision engineering, all done in house. Customer service second to none. From where I sit the new pricing is more in line and should help them to operate on a sound footing. We need all industries to do what they are doing, assembly plants of foreign parts we got, raw materials in one door and finished product out the other door not so much. Bula is good people getting it done the American way. My two cents.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
SAI 'Standard' with Walnut stock........................$ 1788.00 ($1,548.99 @ Brownells, but out of stock)

Bula 'Traditional M14' .........................................$ 2250.00

Fulton Armory 'M14 Service Rifle'...................... $ 2749.95

LRB 'Service Grade M14' with Boyds Walnut.....$ 2,946.15

I don't think the pricing seems unreasonable, depending on the quality of the parts and how well they're put together. If they're done well and good quality control is enacted, that could be very competitive, particularly considering that it's not that much higher than SAI, at least at list, and in this environment, if you can actually receive one built as you want it in two weeks, that's worth something, if they can in fact deliver on quality, schedule, and run in a ways that makes it sustainable.

Maybe the prices are high enough to push some buyers towards more expensive competition with a more established reputation, but I think it's also important to remember that most people buying these types of rifles hold SAI as the 'reference standard' of the 'real civilian m14'. When I bought my first, an SAI 'Loaded', I only knew of SAI and Fulton, and I knew Fulton was WAY out of my conceivable price range, and had I known about LRB, that wouldn't have made a difference either.

But... if I had a little extra cash in my pocket, and I'm looking at about $700 more than an SAI ('street price if you can get one'), and I get a little convinced through 'forged' quality argument, and it gets some good press and a reputation as a great foot into the door of entirely Made in the U.S.A. by a legitimate defense contractor who also makes rifles as a passion-oriented business, and I see a bunch of Internet Experts extolling how it's an entirely different level, or what not... that's a pretty good handle into a much larger pool of buyers than the likes of those who frequent this forum, for many of which the Fulton or LRB pricing (or smaller custom builders) may seem more plausible.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the execution, both out of the gate, and over time. The long run is where the pudding shows. It's obviously not easy, particularly when you need to retain knowledgeable and skilled builders to compete when justifying a 'higher' (compared to SAI) price that is still less than the other competitors who can afford better labor by charging more for it in the product price. It's especially difficult if there are hopes of doing it on a larger scale than what one or two guys can build.

I wish them well. It's not a business for somebody looking to make a quick buck, that is for sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts