M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an email regarding some changes at Bula. Aside from the new talent, the website was modified and the Traditional M14 has increased in price ($1650 to $2250). I just purchased one a few months ago at $1650 and love it - I guess everything is going up in price. Bula news release below:

Bula DefenseSystems 3001 W 121st St, Cleveland OH 44111

October 28, 2020

Bula Defense is proud to announce the addition of Julie VanOverberg as the Chief of Sales. Julie is an industry veteran, with almost 30 years of experience at Springfield Armory and ArmaLite and a friend to many of you in the industry.
With the establishment of Bula Defense as a supplier to the M14 market Julie is increasing contact with previous and candidate customers. The expansion of Bula’s efforts will be based on an updated and continually maturing Internet site. Julie’s work involves contacting previous customers and adding to them by wide contacts around the country.
With Julie’s assumption of her new position, Julie will be taking all orders previously passed through the Cleveland office. Shecan be reached at 216-218-2396
While I’m at work typing I want to also say that the Bula website at www.buladefense.com is being dramatically updated to discuss not only our products but provide other information of use and interest to you. It’s in rough form today but growing daily.
Best regards,

Mark Andrews
Vice President of Marketing and Sales

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Though prices on everything firearm related have increased, that seems a bit like gouging IMHO.

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
Though prices on everything firearm related have increased, that seems a bit like gouging IMHO.
Wow, I don't see that at all. Fulton, SAI and LRB are up too. Bula seems to be midrange for an even better product. Then of coarse, Fulton remains at the top of the pricing scale.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I think the perception of price gouging exhibits the flip side of gaining a following and gathering market share by entering it cheap.

Apart from what could be called 'teething' problems in QC, when everything came through okay, the value of the original pricing in terms of a high proportion of forged critical parts, and all parts made in the United States of America was incredibly good, at least from the buyer's perspective. But it didn't leave much wiggle room, or for that matter a lot of potential for creating a dealer network.

So you've got a catch 22, of sorts, in that you've gathered a following, but they've gotten used to the initial pricing, so that if you bump up your pricing to be in the same line of value, proportionally, as the other big players, the relative perspective is that it's not 'worth it.'

OTOH, if we separate the preconceptions of what Bula hardware is worth, and take a perspective by looking at the value of Fulton Armory...

If I buy all my stuff from Fulton Armory, In general I'm paying through the nose. And yet, on several occasions, I have done so, with zero regrets, when I just needed a particular item, or they had one of their 10% off sales for a chosen holiday period. I can certainly piece together far less costly deals hunting in the PX, or perhaps Numrich or Treeline for odds and ends (And I've jumped on items through them too), and there's nothing wrong with that either.

But when I bought parts from Fulton, be it a receiver, or a USGI parts kit, or this that or the other, everything went together with relatively little pain, passed the usual inspections, and I know that if I have a problem with it, or just needs some help, I can say from experience that they'll help me through it, won't dodge answering the phone, are easy to get ahold of, and otherwise will make sure my life is easier than if I had assembled a bunch of the best deals I could get on the Internet. I would rather pay a little more for a more likely better outcome and reliable support than squeezing the most hardware for the least money, rolling the dice, and then pulling out my hair picking up the pieces of what should have worked just fine, except that it didn't. With Fulton, I am getting good QC inspection on the front end, and I am getting good support on the back end, and I pay extra for that.

IF Bula can consistently nail quality control, performance, and support, including timely communication and setting and meeting expectations, I think their pricing is not only reasonable, but in the long run, for the type of customers they probably want, who are willing to pay more for something genuinely better, preferred. It's not an easy 'IF' in which to succeed, day after day, And day after day, without exception, is what is required to build that perception (and reality) of value. It is very much a marathon, and takes more than just a will, it takes an impressively engineered operating infrastructure to give each team member not just their set of allocated responsibilities, but the tools, information, time, and ability to resolve the myriad of potential issues that could undermine that achievement. I am rooting for their success, and if they pull out from the crowd in this marathon, if I have a hat, I will tip it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well said Muppet Meat. I feel lucky to get one of the early ones at a lower cost. Being my first on a budget, I wouldn’t be able to afford one now. I am very pleased with the rifle I received and everyone else who sees it has nothing but great things to say. Wish Bula the best moving forward.

·
Premium Member
7,076 Posts
I think the perception of price gouging exhibits the flip side of gaining a following and gathering market share by entering it cheap.

Apart from what could be called 'teething' problems in QC, when everything came through okay, the value of the original pricing in terms of a high proportion of forged critical parts, and all parts made in the United States of America was incredibly good, at least from the buyer's perspective. But it didn't leave much wiggle room, or for that matter a lot of potential for creating a dealer network.

So you've got a catch 22, of sorts, in that you've gathered a following, but they've gotten used to the initial pricing, so that if you bump up your pricing to be in the same line of value, proportionally, as the other big players, the relative perspective is that it's not 'worth it.'

OTOH, if we separate the preconceptions of what Bula hardware is worth, and take a perspective by looking at the value of Fulton Armory...

If I buy all my stuff from Fulton Armory, In general I'm paying through the nose. And yet, on several occasions, I have done so, with zero regrets, when I just needed a particular item, or they had one of their 10% off sales for a chosen holiday period. I can certainly piece together far less costly deals hunting in the PX, or perhaps Numrich or Treeline for odds and ends (And I've jumped on items through them too), and there's nothing wrong with that either.

But when I bought parts from Fulton, be it a receiver, or a USGI parts kit, or this that or the other, everything went together with relatively little pain, passed the usual inspections, and I know that if I have a problem with it, or just needs some help, I can say from experience that they'll help me through it, won't dodge answering the phone, are easy to get ahold of, and otherwise will make sure my life is easier than if I had assembled a bunch of the best deals I could get on the Internet. I would rather pay a little more for a more likely better outcome and reliable support than squeezing the most hardware for the least money, rolling the dice, and then pulling out my hair picking up the pieces of what should have worked just fine, except that it didn't. With Fulton, I am getting good QC inspection on the front end, and I am getting good support on the back end, and I pay extra for that.

IF Bula can consistently nail quality control, performance, and support, including timely communication and setting and meeting expectations, I think their pricing is not only reasonable, but in the long run, for the type of customers they probably want, who are willing to pay more for something genuinely better, preferred. It's not an easy 'IF' in which to succeed, day after day, And day after day, without exception, is what is required to build that perception (and reality) of value. It is very much a marathon, and takes more than just a will, it takes an impressively engineered operating infrastructure to give each team member not just their set of allocated responsibilities, but the tools, information, time, and ability to resolve the myriad of potential issues that could undermine that achievement. I am rooting for their success, and if they pull out from the crowd in this marathon, if I have a hat, I will tip it.
We shall see.

REN:cool:

·
Vendor
205 Posts
That's a good summary MuppetMeat.

There is a major issue on pricing from manufacturers who are establishing a widespread Marketing and Sales operation. The problem is that the True Believers (good guys) on the Internet don't provide the mass needed to support a major production effort. Look back at the various companies that entered this market and are now gone.

To succeed Bula has to capture a significant retailer base. This means that pricing has to allow a fair profit so dealers can keep their doors open. Then add the excise tax that doesn't hit the sale of parts and you can see that pricing of rifles is higher than we'd like.

But considering the quality the factory is capable of the rifles are a real value. For years I built rifles from a variety of receivers and ex-US parts. (Yes, I've been a fan of the M1 and M14 for many years.) I'd build about 1 a year but the increasing prices of new condition GI parts made it a cashy project. The pricing of a complete Bula is very competitive with digging up the GI parts and a lot more convenient.

So before I ever got involved with the firm I'd started buying them. I just can't get over the machine work. And it's a lot of fun to see the company from the inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fulton may be at higher price but the SARCO M21 I just bought has all USGI parts except the receiver (Fulton) and unknown muzzle brake. I think Fulton's receiver is machined better than SA. SA has a better finish treatment. To each his own.

Jim
Retired USA

·
Registered
556 Posts
Fulton may be at higher price but the SARCO M21 I just bought has all USGI parts except the receiver (Fulton) and unknown muzzle brake. I think Fulton's receiver is machined better than SA. SA has a better finish treatment. To each his own.

Jim
Retired USA
I think the days of new rifles with good condition USGI parts are long gone. It’s great to see Bula offering a full lineup. I have to say that theres such a small price difference between the M21DMR and the standard models, I don’t know why anyone would buy the standard. I am a huge fan of the M21DMR though.

·
Premium Member
7,076 Posts
I think the days of new rifles with good condition USGI parts are long gone. It’s great to see Bula offering a full lineup. I have to say that theres such a small price difference between the M21DMR and the standard models, I don’t know why anyone would buy the standard. I am a huge fan of the M21DMR though.
No sir, one can still find high quality from excellent to new USGI parts. The real concern is the cost, they are very expensive. So for most not looking to build an as close to an original M14 with history, SAI. LRB FULTON and bula will do.

If bula is manufacturing quality forged parts, I would be interested. I will need to see first before I jump in with both feet.
Of course I wouldn't be interested in complete rifles, I have my own favorite builders.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Because they don't want a picatinny rail they can't remove without leaving tapped mounting points behind?

·
Vendor
205 Posts
25Ren, I can advise from first hand experience that Bula makes excellent forged parts. And more than any M14 style rifle has ever produced in house. When I first visited the plant to pick up a couple rifles I'd ordered I was invited to the shop. Holy Cow. The plant makes not only forgings, but the dies for the fixtures. And all the skills to make parts off the tooling.. Off the top of my head I can think of forged:

Receivers
Bolts
Op Rods,
Gas cylinders
Trigger housings (as an option)
Hammers
Firing pins

And other parts that don't need forgings.

The left hand rifle is made of more left hand stuff than you'd think. Like the ejector. I can never talk about general skills without noting that the left handed rifle was brought from concept to the SHOT Show in only 7 weeks. It couldn't be done without in house skills and and capacity. It's not cheap to do but I'm confident in mine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My Bula and 2 of my pals have been stellar in performance and fit and finish oustanding, Great M14 rifles second to none!

·
Registered
308 Posts
If bula is manufacturing quality forged parts, I would be interested. I will need to see first before I jump in with both feet.
Of course I wouldn't be interested in complete rifles, I have my own favorite builders.
What I see is a company that is withdrawing support for the community by discontinuing sales of bare receivers and small parts. I choose to support companies like LRB and Fulton who offer products and support to us.

Bula seems to want to go the route of the larger manufacturers, which is fine and probably a wise business decision for them. I wish them luck and hope they do well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What I see is a company that is withdrawing support for the community by discontinuing sales of bare receivers and small parts. I choose to support companies like LRB and Fulton who offer products and support to us.

Bula seems to want to go the route of the larger manufacturers, which is fine and probably a wise business decision for them. I wish them luck and hope they do well.
They did have some supply/production issues earlier in the year, so it may be wise for them to build complete rifles and barreled receivers first, as I'm sure both are larger markets than the DIYer, who is more likely to be both hardcore and niche, though the custom builder is also left in the cold and I tend to think, like automotive racing teams, they drive product reputation the most and their recs can boost sales in the retail sales market.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts