M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning friends,

So I spent months collecting every minty TRW part, had LRB build me a beautiful M14, including every NM part and modification (excluding NM sights, as I insisted on all TRW) only to find out that the ranges in north Texas don't allow unscoped rifles past the 50 yard range. Not only that, even with perfect vision, I cant see precisely using TRW battle sights. I'm new to the M14 but not the fundamentals of shooting. Should I Sadlak and scope this rifle? I've got a Nightforce ATACR showing up tomorrow which was allotted for an M25 build but I'm considering scoping this one. Anyone else found themselves in this quandry? Any help appreciated, -jordan

· Premium Member
22,450 Posts
I like my optics for sure. With most of todays mounts, move a scope from one rifle to another is not all that difficult. There are many that would love to have your problem.

· Registered
692 Posts
...only to find out that the ranges in north Texas don't allow unscoped rifles past the 50 yard range. Not only that, even with perfect vision, I cant see precisely using TRW battle sights.
Maybe ask to talk the man in charge of the range, Chief Range Officier, or whatever they call the top dog at your range. Shoot your LRB with him and plead your case. Maybe mention CMP hipower matches go out to 200yds with iron sights and you want to practice... I'm my experience opening a tactful dialog helps immensely.
Keep us informed.
E

· Registered
200 Posts
Good morning friends,

So I spent months collecting every minty TRW part, had LRB build me a beautiful M14, including every NM part and modification (excluding NM sights, as I insisted on all TRW) only to find out that the ranges in north Texas don't allow unscoped rifles past the 50 yard range. Not only that, even with perfect vision, I cant see precisely using TRW battle sights. I'm new to the M14 but not the fundamentals of shooting. Should I Sadlak and scope this rifle? I've got a Nightforce ATACR showing up tomorrow which was allotted for an M25 build but I'm considering scoping this one. Anyone else found themselves in this quandry? Any help appreciated, -jordan
Not true, most of them will. Go to ETTS in Waxahachie/Maypearl. I believe their ranges go out to 1600 yards

· Registered
1,906 Posts
No shooting a rifle past 50 YARDS ! without a scope? Find a different range run by people with sense.

Jarhead
That's a new one for me. I am a member of a FUDD range that doesn't allow semi-automatics but has good wings in the clubhouse restaurant and another that doesn't care what you shoot as long as the projectile doesn't explode down range. But not shooting past 50 yards without a scope?? That's a real prize winner.

· Registered
3,323 Posts
Personally while I appreciate the advantages offered by optics, I think M14 type rifles are best with iron sights. I wholeheartedly agree with those who have already stated that you need to find another range. I have never heard of such nonsense before. Some ranges here are hesitant to allow firing at 600 yds. without a good ballistic table for the specific weapon and ammo but that is an entirely different situation.

What do you mean when you say that you “can’t see precisely with the TRW battle sights”? When using iron sights, you need to focus on the front sight and the target will appear somewhat fuzzy but that is normal. You can still shoot precisely when the target is slightly out of focus.

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Personally while I appreciate the advantages offered by optics, I think M14 type rifles are best with iron sights. I wholeheartedly agree with those who have already stated that you need to find another range. I have never heard of such nonsense before. Some ranges here are hesitant to allow firing at 600 yds. without a good ballistic table for the specific weapon and ammo but that is an entirely different situation.

What do you mean when you say that you “can’t see precisely with the TRW battle sights”? When using iron sights, you need to focus on the front sight and the target will appear somewhat fuzzy but that is normal. You can still shoot precisely when the target is slightly out of focus.
I’m not sure how to explain but but it’s almost like I need a finer front sight post?

· Registered
3,763 Posts
After a certain age, we need a little corrective vision to see up close. That includes the M14 front sight. Generally, +.50 brings the FS into focus a little better and we can see the target well enough.

My distance vision for example is + 1.75, so I have some shooting glasses made to +2.25 and it helps tremendously.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts