M14 Forum banner

Building a BM59

8911 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jkh62
So, you want to build a BM59? It sounds easy, but first you need to figure out exactly what you want in order to avoid wasting time and money.

There is scant information out there for the BM59 builder/owner. One of the better places to start your research is the Battle Tested forum. They have many BM59 owners who have posted many photos of their rifles and parts.
Battle Tested can be found here: http://forum.shuffsparkerizing.com/forum.php

Battle Tested forum will require you to register in order to see the photos and access some of the private areas of the forum. There is also a lot of info on Garands, carbines, and other US military arms. It's a spin-off of the Shuff's Parkerizing site, so don't be surprised to see lots of info on Shuff's.

I had my first BM59 built several years ago before all of the parts kits came into the US. It is what is known as the BM59e. It is essentially an M1 Garand with a box magazine and flash hider. I'll start with this rifle model for those that are thinking of building one.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Just finished machining / converting an M1 drill rifle receiver to BM59 Beretta specs.
Its not a bad job but a fair amount of milling on hardened steel which makes for slow progress.

In a nut shell ~

Open receiver "legs" up to accept the Beretta box magazine.
Angle cut the same legs.

Drill a hole thru for the front magazine catch retaining pin.

Mill front magazine stop surface.

Open up the front receiver a tad to clear the Beretta front magazine catch and bullet guide and mill the slots on both sides of the receiver so the mag adapter fits.

Mill the bolt stop window to fit the Beretta bolt stop.
Spot a spring pocket for new spring.

(An AR15 dust cover door hing pin fits and is longer so it does not work out)

I have a set of receiver prints that helps but is overkill for the few items that need done.

Now I am turning an ITAL barrel.....

· Registered
1,516 Posts
Just as an aside, did anyone happen to spot this BM59 on GBroker as 692981394? Select fire. Says it's never been fired and it is Nice. That impeccable Pete Beretta/Italian machining expertise. I saw it a few days back and as luck seems to have it the seller's detail incl. RIA as I recall is not there now that well detailed its history which was real interesting. I think they cycle if not sold every Sunday, but why the detail and history is gone makes no sense unless it was deleted inadvertently. Started at $16K no reserve.

· Registered
1,563 Posts
I TIG welded a couple stripper clip guides on a friends BM59 builds. He had a pair of Beretta receivers and a factory ITAL barrel...... lucky guy.

I am on the fence if I add one on my build or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.