M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i were to want a rifle identical to one offered by SAI but on a LRB M25 receiver, what would the pros to the build be vs a commercial offering with a quality scope mount?

how close to the same cost could you get?

i know that the LRB is forged and SAI is cast but i am just curious. i am debating buying parts as i can afford them or just buying another SAI.

i have owned a SAI Loaded and Scout and bothe were great shooters at around 2MOA but i would like to do better but dont have a huge budget.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Which model SAI are you looking at? I think a ball park number is the LRB will cost you about $1,200 to $1,400 more than the Springfield unless you are looking at a really high end Springfield. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
If you were to build from ground up it would be unlikely that you would come up with a rifle identicle to an off shelf SAI. Also you didn't say which LRB reciever you would chose. If it is the m25 then there is not another manufacturer out there including SAI that makes one of this type.
Lets say for the sake of understanding that you were to buy a brand new SAI and a reciever from LRB then just take all the parts from the new SAI and build your LRB it likely would not shoot much if any better. The point is that is more than just the recevier in a custom build. There are other components that are just as important if your trying to improve accuracy.
All this rambling of mine being said. You can easily spend $1200 to $1500 more and up building from scratch.
OOps you did say m25 sorry

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
broylz:

first off, you said "i could do better"......meaning what? you can do better with your accuracy, or you can do better with quality?

if you are getting 2" groups with a SAI then i can tell you that you are not going to get better groups than that with a M25 LRB receiver.

do you still have a SAI? you mentioned "getting another". if so, i suggest you get a SAI......... that way all parts are interchangeable and both guns are under a life time warranty.

a lot of the "do better" or quality that is associated with LRB and forged original M14 parts is the wanting a piece of history, nostalgia, collector item, as well as things like re-sell value and so forth.

a LRB m25 receiver is almost as much as a SAI rifle so i would say if you are asking the question you did........then get another SAI. now, if "do better" means upping the ante in terms of the prestige of knowing you have real M14 parts in your gun and a top notch replica of a M14/M25 receiver.........then go for it.

in a nutshell........the price difference between a LRB and a SAI is not the same difference in quality. the GI parts are expensive because they are collector's items.

if i had the money to buy a LRB......i would just buy 2 SAI rifles. but that's just because i believe in QUANTITY and QUALITY.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
+1 with High Hat. If you really want to know, take a break down of the rifle, start looking at things like the group buys here on the forum them start pricing the parts to finish the job. Don't forget the time with a gunsmith unless you have the tools and knowledge to do it at home. It comes down to how much do you want to spend to go to the next level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts