M14 Forum banner

Build it yourself or buy?

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  sgt 0311 
#1 ·
Now that M1A/M14 things such as parts etc are far more common than 10 years ago, is it cheaper to buy a Springfield M1A basic/standard model, or buy various parts and build your own. Im not asking about a super accurized top shelf assembly, but a good basic stock m1A on par with an SA

thanks

#4 ·
There is practically no difference in the cost building it unless you get really lucky and get some deals on parts. By far the cheapest route to is too find a low mileage used one.

Building from scratch really requires a significant investment in tools and is hard to justify unless there is a fun factor for you or you think you might build more than 1.

I have to warn you; Building from scratch will induce feelings of affection for an inanimate object.

#8 ·
Building takes:

1 - Some skills: Easily acquired with this forum, and perhaps a mentor.

2 - An Aptitude: If you love taking things apart, figuring out how they work, and putting them back together (and having them ACTUALLY WORK when you're finished).

3 - Some Specialized Tools: Not cheep, but not expensive either - probably better "buddying up" with a friend, unless you're planning on becoming obsessive about this hobby/platform (or you;re just a TOOL GEEK like me). Some tools are M14 Specific, others lend themselves to other platforms.

4 - The desire to build EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT.

You can buy an "off-the-rack" rifle new - or a lesser expensive used one - but once you get into "parts swapping" to get it where you want it to be, it CAN end up equal to (or more expensive than), just building from scratch.

My FIRST M14 (M1A) was (is) a '97 Super - that I customized out (Sage stock, etc.) and ended up just "returning to virgin". 2nd was a barreled action SEI, that I finished off and put in a Sage. 3rd & 4th were an LRB & Fulton that I assembled from scratch under the careful tutelage of a forum member (still grateful to Jason for passing along the skills). And the 5th (most recent) build was my first SOLO BUILD on a Rock Ola.

Each rifle is uniquely MINE, as is uniquely different from the one next to it, and I have the pride and pleasure of having done all (from simply changing a stock, to going from a pile of parts to a completed shooting iron) with my own two hands. I've acquired skills along the way that I can use to maintain my rifles, help others with theirs, and pass along those skills to the next guy.

Long story short - BUY the first one DONE. If you like (or LOVE) the platform - start "rolling your own".

Rick

#9 ·
If your plan includes the replacement of the stock with something aftermarket, either in the near or far future, just build it that way to start with.

Other than that, I think this becomes a "Six of One, Half-Dozen of the Other" question.

Well... That's what comes to mind anyway.

#10 ·
I prefer the build route mainly to soften the blow by degree's and for the enjoyment of it.. For me, "the Plan" is to go for a JRA B/R and work from there.. I think at that point its a matter of putting the pieces of the puzzle together and hopefully without much heartache.. If I had the wherewithal, I'd just purchase one out right but that's not an option. With some patience and some planning I'll get there...

#11 ·
wanting to build an M14-M1A

Im not sure where to start in here but Ill bet youll get me where I need to be, now here is what Ive got a barreled action and on the heel of the action it reads
US Rifle
7.62mm M14A
FED. ORD. INC.
So. El Monte Ca.
37**
and the numbers on the barrel I believe read SAK-7791362-3-76-8098240.
is this a USGI unit or a civilian unit and is this a junker or a keeper I don't have a throat erosion gauge but the bore looks awful good with lots of sharp clean rifling and maybe Im fooling myself but the bore shines like a mirror and if I didn't know any better Id almost think it is chrome.

#12 ·
It is cheaper to buy a Springfiled M1A, new or used. Friend of mine just picked a new one up from Bud's for about $1400 shipped to FFL01 holder.

BUT... you can probably put one together for about $1,700 if you're patient. If you went the route of getting a barreled receiver, you do not necessarily need any specialized tools to finish the build. If you've got a hammer, some roll pin punches and access to a vice, you'd be able to get by.

#13 ·
Better off buying one from me. All GI parts built by Gus Fisher. Unfired since build.

Like some say "building an M14 ain"t rocket science" but there are a lot of tricks learned over many years by armorers like Gus that the average guy has no clue about.

Yeah you get a lifetime guarantee fom a gunmaker, but believe me you are going to need it unless you make your rifle a safe queen or hang it on the wall to show off to your buddies.

Just my 2 pennies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.