M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting question based on a discussion I had last night with a friend...

How long would it take you to bug out of your house (w/family) in event of a disaster with some type of gear?

I figured I could get out the door in 60 seconds (bailout bags and GOOD bags prepacked) with the bare minimum in the event of a we have to leave NOW situation.

If I had time to "pack" with more sufficient gear, I figured I could have the Jeep loaded in 15 minutes with food, ammunition, water, generator, communications gear, cat, clothes and other minor misc stuff.

I ask this question because when I posed it to a close friend of mine, he figured it would take him between 12-16 hours to pack up everything he would "need" into his truck and trailer.

At what point does it become more adventitious to preposition your items and unrealistic to assume you would have a 16 hour logistics window?

/have already suggested the pre-positioned storage locker thing

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hurricane warning would be several days.

HH

Chemical attack/spill would be 5 minutes?

Mohammad's fallout cloud would be 10 minutes?

Border invasion and advancing army would be 30 minutes?

Undead are slower... an hour?

Its not for the reasons we can think of but more for the reasons we cannot.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
And that is why you have multiple layers of bug out gear. You load by what time will allow. Plus those basic survival supplies you keep in the vehicle all the time.

HH

·
Registered
235 Posts
12-16 hours, yeesh! GI3 I'm not near as prepped to bug out as I SHOULD be, but I'd think I could move half the house in that amount of time...

Chemical attack/spill would be 5 minutes
Live within 1 mile of railroad tracks. Otherwise I'm in pretty good shape, but THAT would be the biggie to make us bug out. Almost happened once before.

That and forest fire...

I keep a BOB in my trunk, as well as a lighter "get home" bag in the car at all times. So for bare basics the answer is however long it takes me to get to the car. I would want...heck, I would WANT 12-16 hours at a minimum. But I would think in 30 minutes I should be able to load up a very good amount.

Argh, I probably need a better BOV though, than a compact Subaru. Though it's puny size has come in handy more than once in navigating past obstacles that bigger vehicles couldn't squeeze past. Still, very little cargo space and low ground clearance...

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Take alot to get me to bug out. No railroad tracks or major roads. Storm shelter for storms on the property. But still set up for 5 minutes for gear & another 5 minutes to load the dogs. And if I have more time have a small cargo trailer.

HH

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
More info

2 main questions to answer to answer this thread!

#1 for how long ? 3 days like a storm, 2 weeks like a flood or FOREVER never coming back mushroom cloud!

#2 for how far ? like a storm 100 to 200 miles like a flood 100 to 200 miles ,,, mushroom cloud other side of country ?

logistics would mean what to take and what to leave this = time to load to answer this thread !!

most likely quick load 30 min. but if time permits 4 to 6 hours?????

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

"All gave some but, some gave ALL"

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
...communications gear,cat, clothes...
Wait, what? That's like 10 of those 15 minutes. GI6

So glad my dogs load themselves into any vehicle with a simple command.

Here's another variable to add to the equation... Do you have a dedicated vehicle just for said occasion and is it full of petrol ready and waiting? Or, is it your daily driver and may need fuel before bugging out? I know some of you hard core guys have a tanker truck you somehow acquired parked in the back yard full of petrol but not everyone has that luxury. Since you probably won't be the only one getting out of town that stop for petrol could really hose you... Unless you are so prepared you get petrol every single day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait, what? That's like 10 of those 15 minutes. GI6

So glad my dogs load themselves into any vehicle with a simple command.

Here's another variable to add to the equation... Do you have a dedicated vehicle just for said occasion and is it full of petrol ready and waiting? Or, is it your daily driver and may need fuel before bugging out? I know some of you hard core guys have a tanker truck you somehow acquired parked in the back yard full of petrol but not everyone has that luxury. Since you probably won't be the only one getting out of town that stop for petrol could really hose you... Unless you are so prepared you get petrol every single day.

Good point, thank you.

Yes, we keep our "weekend" Jeep in the garage at all times fueled and setup.

Learned this after having to bail twice in a 3 month period thanks to gulf hurricanes. Storms shift and strengthen in a pattern that only give you 1-2 days. Chemical or biological concerns with wind shift can only give you minutes.

Cats tend to load themselves with the proper bribery

·
Registered
856 Posts
hmmm? for a hurricane it takes about 3 hrs to get loaded and on the road once we decide to pull trigger on leaving. this dosn't include the 8-10 hrs boarding up house etc..
I have 4 small children and a wife so 3 hrs is pushing it.

My 4wd crewcab 1 ton truck usually stays full of diesel or at least 3/4 full, it isn't my daily driver. during hunting season it is loaded to go, only have to pick up ice and my bow/shotgun/rifle and ammo.
so if have to rush I could just grab the get home bag out of my car and a few choice items from front of gun safe and I could be on the road in 30 min or less.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
More info

all this unless it is emp/solar flare when nothing much is running and the road is blocked with 18 wheelers and cars trucks and such! then we all will wished we payed more attention to Hunting Hawk's method of buging in and grid down transportation !!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

" All gave some , but some gave ALL"

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Since EMP has been brought up, let me let you all in on something. With a metal body vehicle you can rewire the ground that the body is a Faraday Cage. What will knock the electrics out is the frame & body is used as a ground. Eliminate that & an EMP isn't going to knock it out.
You say what the hey. Well, when they first came out with electric golf carts ground was the frame. They would get struck by lightning & get knocked out. Sometimes with exploding batteries. By going with a ground cable instead of grounded frame the problem was eliminated.

But newer vehicles with the onstar & such you can't protect.

HH

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Since EMP has been brought up, let me let you all in on something. With a metal body vehicle you can rewire the ground that the body is a Faraday Cage. What will knock the electrics out is the frame & body is used as a ground. Eliminate that & an EMP isn't going to knock it out.
You say what the hey. Well, when they first came out with electric golf carts ground was the frame. They would get struck by lightning & get knocked out. Sometimes with exploding batteries. By going with a ground cable instead of grounded frame the problem was eliminated.

But newer vehicles with the onstar & such you can't protect.

HH
I would like to hear some more info on this huntinghawk.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Its simple. Everything gets grounded to the battery ground but the battery ground isn't attached to the engine block, frame, or body. Where you get into trouble is with antennas which can feed EMP to the electronics.

HH

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Its simple. Everything gets grounded to the battery ground but the battery ground isn't attached to the engine block, frame, or body. Where you get into trouble is with antennas which can feed EMP to the electronics.

HH

Hawk, So the idea is to have a disconnect switch between the battery ground and its normal grounding spot on the block/frame etc. Since it is a thick cable, maybe something like a knife switch located in the vehicle cab? dozier

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
NO. You disconnect the ground cable from the engine block. Then everything electrical is connected to the battery ground cable.
Its a bit of work as things like the brake/tail lights you have to run a ground wire the whle way to the battery ground cable.

I helped a guy rig up a later 90s truck. What we did for his radio was install a separate battery for it which is charged with a regular battery charger. EMP he might loose the radio but truck will still run. He puts the battery charger on it once every two weeks.

HH

·
Registered
856 Posts
interesting? in case of emp I'll be driving the diesel tractor in my field.

all depends on the scenario. I do plan on bugging in for most things. my boat and a paddle/push pole can get me to great trapping/hunting/fishing areas from the bayou near my house.

Of course having to leave on the tractor would be a slow proposition - I guess I could load my gear and family in the boat on the trailer and tow it. good thing would be, that tractor can run for a very long time on a few gal. of diesel.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Small electric trolling motor, battery, & solar panel will get you further then you might think in that jon boat.

HH

·
Registered
856 Posts
working on that method!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts