M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Choke points are where there is most likely to be so much traffic that it basically comes to a standstill. This will normally be bridges. There is also the fact of an accident or breakdown on that bridge to add to the mess of all the traffic.

Best bet is to always leave early. Having a plan & being partially packed puts you ahead of others. You can't always avoid choke points but if you are ahead of others you have a better chance of getting threw.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was reading once. Maybe it was James Rawles. Said that it is well worth using up vacation time and leaving early if you feel it is near. Nothing would be worse than being late getting on the road out of town. He used Chicago as an example.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about all the people stuck trying to cross the bridge to get out of New Orleans from Katrina. And probably worse, those that were stuck on the bridge.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Bingo! I've spent a fair amount of time hiking my area and you are correct in the statement that the roads would be choked with traffic if escape is delayed too long. My back up route is a railroad line that passes near my property and then connects to an abandoned spur that becomes the John Wayne trail and then goes over Snoqualmie pass.

We would use our four wheel drive Tundras to access the spur and to get to our place on the dry side.

All of our supplies are staged on rolling racks to permit fast loading.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
You should read the story of the attempted evacuation of Houston when Hurricane Rita threatened a few years back . It was the largest evacuation in the USA. Some people were trapped on I-45 to Dallas for 24 to 36 hrs [a typical 4 hr trip] when it turned into a 240 mile long parking lot. I-10 the same parking lot all the way to San Antonio , US-290 the same parking lot to Austin . Once on the 3 main "evacuation" routes you weren't allowed off. It was a world class three ring cluster pluck. Glad I stayed home and watched it all on TV.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Or have a vehicle able to travel off road or push vehicles out of the way

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I remember when there was a hurricane threat in Corpus Christi. I got in my vehicle (I was working for Nokia Telecom at the time) and headed out to the gas station. No gas, no water, nothing! All of the main roads out were jamming up. I headed in land on smaller roads which were clear and filled up with gas and water and headed out to Navasota, Texas where my wife's folks were living at the time. I knew those back rural roads because of my work with Nokia and I had detailed maps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
choke points

I agree with all of you, good points are made, but I wonder how it might be to hunker down for say 30 days, let the natural selection process work itself out, then make a move to a bug out location.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's a good idea to try and find a route that bypasses as many bridges and major highways ahead of time and have them mapped out. My vehicles have 3 sets of printed out turn by turn directions to try and limit this issue. Of course this is a bigger deal for me, since I'm stuck in an urban environment

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
BACK ROADS - I usually bug in but if I have to head North for a Hurricane or something. I will take secondary roads all the way. I done it a couple of times since Katrina. Works like a charm and faster than fighting traffic on an Interstate.

What worries me is all those wire median dividers the gubment is putting on the Interstates. Seems to me they are wanting to "Herd" us in some direction of their choosing with no turning back. Most of the sheep will play that game, I'd just put my bumper on an upright support and push me an opening. I'm still trying to figure out if wire divders have a sinister intention or just another way to PISS AWAY billions and billions of dollars? They probably have already killed more people than saved them.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Exactly why a properly set up 4x4, a well thought out back road plan, and some good old fashioned American ingenuity are so important. My bug out plan has several choke points that consist of highway intersections, bridges, or small towns. All of these can be bypassed with nothing but a four wheel drive vehicle, some bolt cutters, and a pair of fence pliers.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I have relatives in the US who forgot to check on their gas tank before a careful early evacuation for a hurricane, then found it nearly empty. They ended up lining up for hours at a gas station before they could even get moving and they were caught in the worst of the snarl. So as lucky as they were to even get gas, the gas station was their self-inflicted choke point. I try to keep my tank full myself, it doesn't cost any more.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
what do you think the people in the cars will do when someone starts shoving them out of the way some of them will be armed plus you will have police helicopters above ready to disable any vehicle acting in that manner.i say if you get caught up in that kind of mess you better take off on foot and get away from the masses as fast as possible

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I'm not too likely to get caught in a massive evacuation situation as is being discussed, but I do have both road and mountain bikes in case the city comes by here and it does happen. They would beat walking and at least for a short distance you could carry even more (backpack plus panniers).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts