M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that buff your stocks before waxing them.

What type of buffing compound do you use, and who is the manufacturer?
You have wet sanded the stock with lets say teak oil up thru 2000 grit. How long should you let the stock dry before you start buffing? How much time do you spend buffing your stock before you start the waxing process? I'd hate to over buff and burn thru.
Thanks for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
See comments below:

For you guys that buff your stocks before waxing them.

What type of buffing compound do you use, and who is the manufacturer? M1Army - you do not use buffing compound.
You have wet sanded the stock with lets say teak oil up thru 2000 grit. How long should you let the stock dry before you start buffing? M1Army - let the stock dry for two days (the stock should Not be sticky it should feel dry).
How much time do you spend buffing your stock before you start the waxing process? I'd hate to over buff and burn thru. M1Army - you don't spend a lot of time buffing. After giving the stock two days to dry I secure my buffer in my bench vice. Start at the stock Ferrule and work your way back to the butt stock. You manipulate the stock over the buffing pad. Once you buff the stock - it will go from a dullish look to a nice satin finish. After I buff the stock I let it sit overnight.

The next day I apply Renaissance Wax three coats (hand buffing with a clean smooth low lint cotton rag in between); then I buff the stock on the bench buffer again then repeat three more coats with hand buffing and one final buff on the bench, then you are done.

The buffer looks like this:

The stock should look something like this:

M1Army

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank you M1Army! I think that last picture you posted is my favorite stock I’ve seen so far. I have it saved in my pics from the build thread.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M1 Army, thanks for your input. Just wet sanded with 600 grit and teak oil per your how to's posted a few months ago.
Hope mine comes out half as good as yours do. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts