M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the recoil buffer like the one from Buffer Technologies legal for service rifle competition. I dont have a rule book and have not found it anywhere. I have one in a Ruger 10/22 and really like it :) . How are they in a M1A :?:

·
Super Moderator
12,064 Posts
Yes, I think there good to go as they don`t alter anything or the appearance of the weapon but if it should break/fall apart on the line you will have too break the whole rifle down to fix it what a pain if the stage has started #2 some guys have used them and liked them others are on the fence like me , If you shoot overpressure loads then I say yes its cheap insurance from the op-rod smacking the receiver but I would also use a Schuster`s nut with the buff as a added measure.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also am "on the fence" about them :-k . I was curious of others experience with them. I can see the benefit of stopping the metal to metal contact but I guess that was the way the rifle was designed. The idea of it coming appart during a match would be a whole lota NO FUN. Ill keep listening to opinions then decide by April Thanks

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
CTC01 , I've been using one for years and they do help. With your ear against the stock , ya can hear the diff. Also I haven't lost or loosened a scope since I installed one. With the price of op-rods , its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any idea on how many rounds I could run through the rifle before I should replace it. I believe I read some place that the one in my Ruger 10/22 should be good for 5k + rounds. In the 10/22 the force is trying to shear the buffer, in the M14/M1A it is crushing it and the .308 is probably putting ALITTLE more pressure on the buffer 8O than the .22.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:? I am not a Fan of those myself my Shooting Partners SA Match Rifle came with one, When it tore up pieces Stopped His Rifle for a Short time until we got the mess out of there! It is not an External Modification therefore it is Legal in Service Rifle Competition! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buffers for M14/M1A

Our buffers are installed in the DMR rifles when shipped from Quantico. While our buffers are not part of the ERB program, the initial testing in the mid-east used the buffers and were happy with them. Fulton Armory puts them in every rifle they build. Using standard service ammo you should get a minimum of 3,000 rounds. The reduction is shock transfered to the weapon enhances accuracy as well. We are seeing a reduction in group size of 15-20% simply by adding the buffer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What is this Schuster's nut? Does this aid in felt recoil reduction? I already installed a buffer on my M1A and can feel the immediate difference it will make. So if this Schuster's nut can be combined with the buffer, where can one purchase it and how and where is it installed on the rifle? :-k

·
Registered
106 Posts
TV Vet, I have the shuster gas plug on my socom along with a recoil buffer. I use it to reduce recoil for quick follow up shots. The Shuster has a 1/64 inch hole at the end which significantly reduces pressure. An additional benefit is less wear and tear on the weapon. The danger of course is increased likliehood of FTF. Haven't had any problems with it yet, but I am thinking about going back to the standard gas plug. I use the socom as my "primary" weapon for household defense so any FTF's are really bad.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks :!: BufferTech and everyone else :) . That's the kind of info I needed. I think I'm going to try the buffer, have not decided about the Schuster plug yet, don't really need a FTF during a match. The Schuster plug can be had a Creedmoor Sports, not sure if any members here have them or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.