M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

In an effort to get ready for boar hunting, I am looking to fine tune the accuracy of my SA Scout, with walnut stock, and Burris Scout scope. I usually use 147gr M80 surplus, and typically get about 1-2" groups (more 2" than 1", I admit) from the bench with bipod. At less than 100yds, I know it won't make a huge difference , but it gives me a goal to shoot for. Thing is, I am trying to keep a low budget. In reading the forums in depth on this, I have seen these steps mentioned a lot:

1. Shim the gas system for lockup @5 oclock
2. Replace op rod spring guide with NM
3. Replace piston with NM
4. Unitize gas system
5. Sand down handguard for proper clearance
6. Sand stock for clearance with gas/op rod
7. Trigger job
8. Glass bedding

I can already say I am not interested in glass bedding. I have ordered the shim and spring guide, because they are fairly affordable and posts seem to say they have good bang for the buck. I will also do the sanding, since DIY is cheap and just takes time.

Are the piston, unitized gas and trigger job worth the money? Also, are there other DIY steps I can take to reign these shots in? And to stay humble - yes, I need more practice time too. GI2 Thanks yall.

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
If you are getting 1-2" groups with M80 surplus, I wouldn't change a thing. You are already ahead of the game.

The NM guide rod will allow the action to cycle more smoothly, making you a better shooter.

Change only one thing at a time, seeing if it makes the rifle more or less accurate.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
That's actually a good amount of work and not so budget to me.
To me,
a trigger job,
Sadlak op rod guide,
shimming the gas cylinder,
a set of Tubbs chrome silicon springs for the op rod and hammer spring,
and sticking it in a tight fitting, USGI fiberglass that you sanded with the handguard for clearance,
would be more budget and get reasonable results.

If the piston it had didn't gander good results, then you change it.

Reactions: Litzkrieg

·
Banned
4,216 Posts
That's good shooting to start.
I'd do:
NM trigger--send to a pro and the rest of this you can do on the cheap. There are some good threads on work you can do on a glass GI stock, and Numrich has them cheap if you are willing to spend some elbow grease. You'll have to hunt for the metal, but that's part of the fun.

Shim
NM front ferrule work
Spring guide
Handguard work
GI Glass Stock

and, one at a time, and eval.

Reactions: Litzkrieg

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
First question: Have you studied Tony Ben's video's? He takes you thru most of these mods step by step and explains what and why you are doing them. Follow Kurt's advice and only do one mod at a time-2" moa from a Scout with surplus ammo is great. You are not going to get the accuracy from a semi-auto that you can get from a bolt gun no matter what you do. 30-40 years ago, a rifle that shot 2" moa was considered very accurate and was probably custom made. While the barrels that Springfield put on their Scouts are not junk, they are not Match grade either. You could spend $3-400 on a Match grade barrel from Jon Wolfe(worth the money but do you need that), make all the mods for accuracy, and maybe get down below 1"moa-or maybe not. Enjoy the rifle for what it is. Make what ever mods YOU can make with your own hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First question: Have you studied Tony Ben's video's? He takes you thru most of these mods step by step and explains what and why you are doing them. Follow Kurt's advice and only do one mod at a time-2" moa from a Scout with surplus ammo is great. You are not going to get the accuracy from a semi-auto that you can get from a bolt gun no matter what you do. 30-40 years ago, a rifle that shot 2" moa was considered very accurate and was probably custom made. While the barrels that Springfield put on their Scouts are not junk, they are not Match grade either. You could spend $3-400 on a Match grade barrel from Jon Wolfe(worth the money but do you need that), make all the mods for accuracy, and maybe get down below 1"moa-or maybe not. Enjoy the rifle for what it is. Make what ever mods YOU can make with your own hands.
Yes, I have been watching TonyBen's stuff on youtube - very helpful in learning more about the intricacies of the platform!

Hearing from yall that my groups are decent is comforting. I will take it slow and see what works. Agreed, no need to go full match components on a scout or anything, but those small steps from TonyBen's vids give me some stuff to work on.

I am always impressed by the helpfulness of this community - thank yall for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts