M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All just a quick question. Has anyone ever seen a Buckhorn Type replacement for the standard Rear Sight? Like the Peeps for Battle use but I am sure I could personally be far more accurate with a buck horn type rear sight. Thanks all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yeah, sure I could. I will probably buy a spare peep and do some customizing if I can`t find anything available. Just was wondering if anyone had seen any produced. Has anyone else retrofitted their rifles with buckhorn type sights?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I have to I will buy a spare peep cut a notch into it and silver solder a buckhorn sight onto it. I find the buckhorns sights a lot more precise for pinpoint aiming at all ranges. My ancient 30/40 WILL DRIVE NAILS AT 300 YARDS like nothing else with buck horn type sights.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Useing buck horn sights I've always put the top of the post in the notch in the bottom of the rear sight. That way you frame your target in the horns. It works very well if you can still see well enough to use them. Dan

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Need to be more precise with my labels I should say I am planning on mounting a tab with straight rear blade and V-notch and Post setup. Not a True Buckhorn but a semi-buckhorn like on the Winchester would work fine. I grew up deer and elk hunting with a 1903 and still have my prized 1896 30/40 the open sights on either one are just more precise for me. I plan on mounting this blade to the top of an existing peep without covering the peep hole. I do love a peep sight for fast close quarters shooting. With just two different color coded battle zeros I can have both.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well just comes down to personal preference and shooting styles something as big as a deer sounds like a man size target to me. The instant kill zone is exactly the same size. I will post pics of anything I come up with. I will be fitting a flat blade to my peep with the peep left open for use. If it can`t be found I just didn`t need it yet. GI1

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Maybe mock something up and see what it looks like (sighting). A buckhorn sight so close to your eye might not be so great... or it might be what you like.

A friend bought an M1 that had a notched penny silver soldered on as a rear sight. Some Bavarian M1 Carbines had their peeps notched to "V" types. Others had "V" type blades silver soldered on the receiver bridge.

So, you're not the only one who likes open sights over the peeps.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
With open rear sight, front sight blade/bead, and target you are asking your eye to focus on three items, not a good system. With the "peep" sight you actually don't look at it, but through it and then only required you focus on two items, front sight and target. Theory is that the human eye will seek out the very center of the aperture/peep and provides more accurate placement of the shot. If you need a replacement rack/rear sight to experiment with, drop me a PM and will send you couple for the "test," not a problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe I have come to the conclusion that I may be able to simply give a small sight notch to the top of the peep itself for a quick test of sighting effectiveness. Thanks to Oldsalt for the offer of a sight to play with (may take you up on that sir). Thanks for all the input from everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.