M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought this home today, pretty sure it's mostly GI. Question......how was the fit of the mid 90's SA guns ? I'm having a real hard time working the op rod off the receiver. The notch is much smaller than the one on my Norinco. I've taken that down plenty and have enough experience with Garands to know somethin ain't right !

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
As you have discovered the takedown notch has a raised shelf that makes removing the op rod a SOB. Sometimes the op rod/notch will wear in and get easier over time but I have been known to take a dremel to it because I got tired of fighting to get op rod off and having to beat it back on. And while you have that dermel out check for bolt roller clearance in the relief cut, that is another area that is sometimes needs a little clean up.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Lock bars are a nice touch. I don't know how long they did that or how prevalent. I have seen others, I put them on my GI mimic build.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
As for your op rod being difficult to remove, better that than very loose. The video mentioned will most likely solve the problem, only takes a few seconds to remove with the screw driver/hammer approach. My LRB with their mfg./forged op rod is also tight and the driver/hammer approach works well what few times I have taken it out, once matter of fact.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed. I'm going to give that a shot in the morning. Hammer + screwdriver + miller lite is not a good combination this evening lol.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts