M14 Forum banner

Broken Unitizing?? Remedy or Leave Alone?

1034 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  win308
Gents,
I have a low round count (approx 500) Early 80's SAI NM...seems to be in otherwise great shape but...Although there is no movement yet in the gas cylinder...1/2 of my "screw and glue" unitizing job spins totally freely...it won't fall free but believe me it spins toally freely...problem or leave alone?? PS am intending to remove nightforce and permanently use irons/aimpoint from here on out..so..while I want it as accurate as possible...not intending 1/2 MOA or anything like that.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,621 Posts
I take "1/2 the job" to mean one screw. I would investigate further. Is the screw stipped, broken or is the hole in the spindle valve stripped. To me it would make sense to fix it or replace it before it breaks the other screw. It surely would continue to run with broken screws, but there is a chance the pieces could fall out and do mischief.
I wonder if this would be covere in SAI warranty. And on that thought I wonder if you could trust sending them an early 80's rifle and getting it back unmolested.

· Registered
4,021 Posts
Gents,
I have a low round count (approx 500) Early 80's SAI NM...seems to be in otherwise great shape but...Although there is no movement yet in the gas cylinder...1/2 of my "screw and glue" unitizing job spins totally freely...it won't fall free but believe me it spins toally freely...problem or leave alone?? PS am intending to remove nightforce and permanently use irons/aimpoint from here on out..so..while I want it as accurate as possible...not intending 1/2 MOA or anything like that.

With that low of round count, I'd give SAI a call and see what they recommend. It shouldn't matter that its 30ys old. If you do decide to let them correct it, definetly remove your scope and mount prior to shipping. Maybe you can just send in your GC for replacement? dozier

· Registered
2,807 Posts
With that low of round count, I'd give SAI a call and see what they recommend. It shouldn't matter that its 30ys old. If you do decide to let them correct it, definetly remove your scope and mount prior to shipping. Maybe you can just send in your GC for replacement? dozier
Even if they would allow just the gas cylinder to be sent in, (which I doubt ) I would not do it. The reason is, the rifle most likely has a USGI gas cylinder and would be replaced instead of fixed with a cast unit.

· MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,047 Posts
I take "1/2 the job" to mean one screw. I would investigate further. Is the screw stipped, broken or is the hole in the spindle valve stripped. To me it would make sense to fix it or replace it before it breaks the other screw. It surely would continue to run with broken screws, but there is a chance the pieces could fall out and do mischief.
I agree one should investigate both screws and try to fix the loose screw.

Glue and screw unitized cylinders coming loose at low round counts was the reason we in the Marine Corps abandoned this method of unitizing a gas cylinder.

If it were my unitized cylinder, I would have it welded in the holes for the screws, file any weld bead down flush with the rest of the rear "face" of the front band, either cold blue it or paint it and be done with any such problems for as long as the gas cylinder is good.

· Registered
3,884 Posts
I had an alignment issue with the Supermatch (the band and the gas cyl weren't quite concentric and it mauled the stock ferrule after 1k rds. Called SA Inc and they sent me a replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.