M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I recently traded my Scout for a SOCOM, but the owner wanted to keep his USGI trigger group that came with the SOCOM. (Probably relevant) Anyway, today for the first time, I took the SOCOM to the range and ATTEMPTED to shoot it. Well, after a very short while, (2 shots), the rifle decided to fail to feed. It was not stripping off rounds from any of the 4 USGI mags I brought. Occassionally, I'd get 2 or 3 rounds off, but that was it.

My guess is that the trigger group somehow is not correct to this rifle, maybe why it had a USGI group in the first place.... Is that possible? Could a SA trigger group not sit high enough, so that the mags are low in the mag well? I'm guessing here, but I think the trigger is the problem. Anyone agree?

On a side note, the action/trigger group was somewhat loose in the E2 stock, but not that bad. When I pulled back on the mag during fire, it would feed a bit better also.

Suggestions or comments before I swap out the stock and trigger for some range time on sunday?

·
Registered
795 Posts
sure hope this trade was with a friend... I would go back to the owner and try the gun with the correct trigger group and also the orig stock... This person may have had a good reason to trade the gun to you???? I would guess calling SA inc and telling them the same story you told here - will NOT get you much warrenty work out of them.... I would try going back to square one to start with....

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Balzac72 said:
On a side note, the action/trigger group was somewhat loose in the E2 stock, but not that bad. When I pulled back on the mag during fire, it would feed a bit better also.
So you weren't shooting it in the original stock? If so, I'd try the original stock, or a different one (USGI synthetic) at the very least.

I doubt the trigger group is the problem, but you never know. You shouldn't have let him loot the GI parts though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you remember when the Socom’s first came out, they all had USGI trigger groups in them. I have noticed beginning about two months ago that Socom’s now have Springfield Armory Inc. commercial trigger groups. I suspect that SA Inc. has now run out of the best trigger groups and are using the commercial version. I would bet that your friend wanted to keep an original USGI trigger group.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My SOCOM just has numbers and the letters "HR" all in a row. I guess it's not USGI. Still the thing works like a charm. No malfunctions and tons of fun to shoot, so I won't worry about not having a USGI trigger group.

Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After surfing around this site, now I'm not so sure. Maybe I do have a USGI trigger group. There are a series of numbers followed by HR-N. Is this USGI? Should I be happy about that?

Thanks,
JR

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Yes, your trigger group is USGI. It was manufactured by one of Harrington& Richardson's subcontractors. This would make me happy if I were you!

Commercial SA Inc. trigger groups only have one letter following the number. The ones I have owned have either a G or an I. The most recent ones have an I. Fit can vary though they do not fit as well as USGI ones.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Tommo said:
Yes, your trigger group is USGI. It was manufactured by one of Harrington& Richardson's subcontractors. This would make me happy if I were you!

Commercial SA Inc. trigger groups only have one letter following the number. The ones I have owned have either a G or an I. The most recent ones have an I. Fit can vary though they do not fit as well as USGI ones.
I can say the same thing about there cast op rod. I replaced mine because it just did not suit me. I have a USGI trigger group on the way to replace the one in my rifle also. The more USGI parts the better.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I doubt it's the trigger group. What ammo were you using? Does the rifle pass the tilt test in the E2 stock (oprod spring removed, the action should cycle when you tilt the rifle up and down 45 degrees)? A loose stock fit is not desireable. Have you made sure the gas system is correctly assembled (gas cyl lock threaded all the way down, gas plug tight)?

Ty

·
Registered
69 Posts
Range Report

Shooters,

I took the SOCOM back to the range today and used a different ACOG Reflex. The base was wobbly on my old one. Not the ARMS mount or the Scout rail, the base of the ACOG itself. No way to tighten that, so I tried a diffrent one. Groups were much better - sort of. Read on.

Once I got it zero'd I put 5 168-Gr Fed GMM into 1.75 inches. Three were in 1/2 inch! This was traditional prone, no sand bag. This was with zero magnification (okay, 1X technically.) No key-holing this time. :)

Then I took off the ACOG to test my iron zero. (Possibly first mistake.)

Then I tested 150 grain PMC SP. About 4 inches at 100 yards. No impreovement. Back to 168s and blast away for a while.

Then I took off the muzzle brake to see if the keyholing was related to a misaligned brake. (Possible second mistake.) You know, if I had thought about it, it stopped keyholing after I cleaned the bore, so why did I feel the need to mess with it? My M4 is the same way: clean it and the keyholing stops. I should have left things alone, but I couldn't help myself. At any rate, save yourself the trouble - DON'T do it. It won't cycle at all without the brake and the groups were nowhere to be seen.

I went to put the brake back on and noticed the threads were covered by (forgive me for not knowing my M14 nomenclature) some damn part of the end of the gun. Loud cussing at this point. I managed to push it down and inspect the threads which appeared to be fine. I threaded the brake back on, but it didn't line up right. It took a little extra torque to get it lined up so I could put the cap on the gas tube -- but the cap won't screw on. More cussing (at myself). I wound the brake back one turn and then the cap threaded on. Once I threaded it down finger tight, the brake was flush.

At this point I figured all is well, shoot one more group the prove the thing works and go home happy. So let's put the ACOG back on, clamp down the ARMS levers, and shoot 'em up, right?

Well, the next group was awful. 10 rounds at 100 yards prone into about a soccerball. Still more cussing. Why - for the love of Pete - did I meddle with a rifle that was shooting 3 into 1/2 inch?!

I settled down and tried 5 more groups of 3 at 100 yards prone: 3", 4.5 ", 5.25", 4.25". All to the right about 3-4 inches. Frustration had set in and I had to go home.

Help! How can I get my accuracy back?!

Tell me if any of these excuses might make sense:
1. Taking off the ACOG moved my group. (I really doubt this.)
2. 120 rounds later I had fouled the bore and degraded accuracy.
3. I was ticked off and couldn't concentrate.
4. I busted something by trying to shoot with the brake off. (God help me.)
5. My first group was a beautiful fluke.

Any and all comments are welcome.

If I figure out how to post a pic, I'll show you the group.

Regards,
JR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.