M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a reload from hornady brass (MAYBE only 3rd reload) break clean in half today while shooting. ripped clean in half, got hit in the forhead with the back half.

the fresh cartridge was stuffed inside the spend case- but i was able to just pull it out. I know i need a broken shell extractor etc, got that but- this has never happened to me before.

to make matters worse, i shot like crap today. i hope i didnt mess something up when i was putting on my new flash hider. poo poo day at the range...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
That sucks, bud, hope youre good to go. Just remember, A bad day shooting, is always better than a good day at work. Do you tumble or clean your brass? Sometimes you will see a bright looking ring around a case that has stretched to the point of a case head seperation.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i do all of that. sometimes ill see a bit of stretching, but its not unusual.

what concerns me more is how i shot today. i hope its me and not the gun. we didnt put this FH on that tight. i was banging on the castle nut before hand, but not that hard. again, hope its just a crappy day of shooting and not my stick. shes a 1.25 gun with DAG ammo. i shot 3 MOA + today...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
When you reload, use a bent piece of wire or an angled dental probe to poke around the sidewall of the case above the web to see if "incipient" case head separation is beginning.
You have may to adjust your case sizing to slow it down.
Bruce

·
Registered
665 Posts
On the chance that your headspace may be inconsistent due to various factors may I suggest you consider getting a set of Redding Competition Shellholders and choose one that allows you to get the right headspace with your particular brass and also makes it possible to adjust the die all the way down to fully contact the shellholder so that headspace on the resized case is just as consistent as is possible?
Just read an article in a fairly recent Precision Shooting magazine where the author found that if one tried to back off the die to increase headspace it often caused more variation than just using a Redding Competition shell holder with the right headspace holder and the ram adjusted to put the shellholder right up to the bottom of the die.
You can read about this kind of special shellholder and see how they work.
I use these shellholders now with a lot of my rifle loads and consider it really nice to just select one to get the headspace I want and then go to resizing knowing my resizing consistency is going to be as good as I can get.
I use Imperial Die wax both on the outside of the case and also on a lightly coated Q-tip around the edge so when the expander ball of the resizing die comes back up out the case shoulder and into the neck it will prevent any catching or gouching that can stretch shoulders/necks and really screw up headspace and total indicated run-out of the loaded ammo.
I have no commercial interest in any of the above product or magazine.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
again, i hope today was just a crap day behind the gun. the broken shell surprised the hell out of me. ive got tens of thousands of 762 downrange and ive never had that happen. even my reloads have never given me issues. LOL she just ripped that ol' ass-end of the case right off today! Dinked me right in the forhead.

i full length resize, and recheck with a wilson case gauge- each case.

ill try it again in a day or two and see how things go. hope today was just a fluke. my sources tell me that theres no way my new flash hider could be causing problems (its not over tight either).

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
had a reload from hornady brass (MAYBE only 3rd reload) break clean in half today while shooting. ripped clean in half, got hit in the forhead with the back half.

the fresh cartridge was stuffed inside the spend case- but i was able to just pull it out. I know i need a broken shell extractor etc, got that but- this has never happened to me before.

to make matters worse, i shot like crap today. i hope i didnt mess something up when i was putting on my new flash hider. poo poo day at the range...
Can you post of picture of the case?

If not, then about how far up from the bottom did it split?

I use a small penlight and look inside the case. When you can see a ridge start to form around the inside, about an eighth of an inch up from the bottom, it's time to think about tossing it. That's the ridge that will cause the case to split.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you post of picture of the case?

If not, then about how far up from the bottom did it split?

I use a small penlight and look inside the case. When you can see a ridge start to form around the inside, about an eighth of an inch up from the bottom, it's time to think about tossing it. That's the ridge that will cause the case to split.
Ram- here it is, sorry for the crappy pick. its a perfect seperation. Hornady brass 3x reloaded (tops). 1st time ever.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Ram- here it is, sorry for the crappy pick. its a perfect seperation. Hornady brass 3x reloaded (tops). 1st time ever.
I'm going to say that this is a brass problem and not a chamber or a pressure issue. High pressure usually causes the brass to split lower toward the bottom of the case.

I'm guessing that this brass wasn't properly annealed at the factory and had a hard spot; the crack occurred where the hard and soft brass came together.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Case head separation - Four firings from a M14 rifle will do brass in. Time to put the broken shell extractor in the buttstock.

Hornady brass (commercial) might be thin walled brass. Maybe stay with the thick walled NATO or Gov't surplus brass so you don't have case heads popping before 4 firings.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks Rammac and ezekiel for the info. this will be my last firing, and when payday comes, broken shell extractor goes into buttstock.

as far as my accuracy issue goes, hopefully it is operater headspace and timing.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Bad brass could account for the poor precision. If the brass were improperly annealed then it would not expand consistently when the powder is burning and that can cause variations in the pressure behind the bullet.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bad brass could account for the poor precision. If the brass were improperly annealed then it would not expand consistently when the powder is burning and that can cause variations in the pressure behind the bullet.
i was shooting like crap with DAG too. dag usually shoots 1.15-1.25 out of my gun. today... more like 3 or 4 MOA. i was having issues with seeing the little red 1 moa bullseye, but i dunno if i would be that bad. ill find out after another range session. thanks for the help with the brass issue. kinda scary actually.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Was told long ago that the broken case extractor can cause gouging/marking in the chamber area if not careful. For quite a few years now have used a T handle flex rod coated in plastic(some 6" in length) as used for pistol cleaning and use 45 cal. wire brush. To extract the part of the case in the chamber, insert brush, twist a bit and pull out remaining case. Not all come out as easy as yours did and over the years the simple tool described has always worked when needed. Just a suggestion. As others have mentioned, more than 4 firings on most cases can cause problems. LC brass does seem to be less prone to separation than commercial brass.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i cant speak for the reloads, but...

i cant imagine your groups opening up that much because of a new flash hider. are you gunna post some pics of you rifle with the new suppressor on it?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
A too-loose or too-tight flash suppressor can cause accuracy problems. I once gorilla-wrenched the castle nut on an NM M14 FS, and it shot shotgun-like patterns. This was out of the accuracy cradle, when I was in training at Rock Island Arsenal. The instructor immediately diagnosed the problem as a too-tight castle nut. I loosened it up one notch, and the rifle promptly started grouping.

Something to consider, at any rate.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.