M14 Forum banner

Broken M-14 OP rod

2079 14
Has anyone broked an op rod? Or do you know of any reasons this can happen? I purchased mine in the 80's and have put several 1000 rounds thru it with out any trouble until now. It is a Fed ord with USGI parts mostly trw but the op rod was a int harvester. I know there are many folks that say there are problems with FED ORD but as far as I can tell this was one of the good ones. (until Now)
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Sniper M-14 Anything can Happen even with GI Parts, I hope you mean Harrington & Richardson on the OP Rod, I dont think IH made any parts for 14s. One of my Match Rifles is a Fed. Ord. It has over 22000 Rounds thru it, been Rebarreled twice, still going like te Energizer Bunny Would you believe a Chinese OP rod in it. :mrgreen:

:roll: By the way I quit defending that Rifle on the two forums I am on to all the Fed. Ord. Haters that Read something somewhere It Does It's Own talking on The Range! :wink:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Please describe how the oprod broke. I have not had one break on a rifle, but did break one trying to bend it! Turns out it was welded, bought about 10 years ago from a parts dealer who is no longer in business. $40 down the drain!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:? I dont know Hawk I dont think Fed Ord made M-1 Clone Receivers, at least I dont think so. :?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OOPs Thats I mis spoke it's H&R not IH .........
I wish I knew what happened I was firing a string of shots and it suddenly got quiet . I looked down at the receiver and thought I had a jam I reached for the handle and it was gone........

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:D All I can tell you is that only TRW made their OP Rods out of one piece, Springfield Armory, H&R and Winchester made them out of two pieces welded together, I think I am correct when I say this. There were some Demilled OP Rods around that had been Rewelded but on what spot I dont Know, Maybe Different sees this post and will respond? It very well could be that one of those got on your Rifle, Right now I have no Idea who has Them, I havent seen any at Gunshows Lately. :(

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Yes, TRW was the only manufacturer that made one piece M14 operating rods. Kuhnhausen has some good information and photos regarding "rewelded" operating rods. The reweld is typically near the aft end of the cylindrical section. Kuhnhausen also states that 70 % of the broken operating rods he has seen were made by Harrington & Richardson.

Personally, I have a couple Winchester operating rods that run smooth as silk. One of them was sold by CMP and it only had about 25 % finish left. You could tell it had been there and done that. I had it reparkerized by Derek at www.azexarms.com and it is on Otto (my select fire M1A) now. 8)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Several years ago a friend of mine had an op rod break where the weld at the end of the tube and the handle meet. He asked if he could use the op rod off of my rifle if he didn't get his replacement before his next match. He called Fulton, and explained his situtation and received a replacement in time before his next match.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
197 Posts
At the range, I just missed seeing an op rod break. It was an SSA inc. op rod. The guy said he was just shooting and it broke. I bought a new TRW op rod and there was a slight bent to the tube. It was absolutely brand new, it must have been a manf. defect, it was not welded. Sherluk made good and took it in for another, good people.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Yes, mine broke where the thin section of the handle and the tube section meet. When I compared the remains of mine to an oprod that was not rewelded, it was very apparent something was defective because of the bowed shape it had.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now in all of your opinions and vast experteze.

Who do you know who would check this out and do a little work on it for me?

Mostly I want to have an OP rod fitted to it, parkerized and checked for serviceability.

Broken hearted M-14 owner

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:? PM Warbird, He May have the Solution? :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.