M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the apparent and oncoming shortages of handgun ammo I thought it only prudent to bring out some gear that I haven't used since the last century in preparation.

First photo is my Lyman hand loader for 38/357. Second photo from left to right Wells 9mm set of dies, Lee 9mm and Lee 38/357 both of which work in conventional modern presses.
Been so long I had forgotten about scooping powder according to " loading tables". Whatta Hobby!

Pistol dies 1.jpg
Pistol dies 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Art, just started bullet casting and am interested in the powder coating of the bullets rather than lubing them. What I understand is that the old powder scops work great to provide consistant amounts of PC. I still have the full Lee set that I used when first starting out reloading back in the early 60's. The things we keep ?!

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's when these joined the camp. Haven't used them since the 70s when I , for a moment, was thinking of growing up. With that thought sent to file #13 I moved into rifles and precision shooting.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I just pulled out the Old 310 yesterday. I started reloading, in about '91.
First thing I did was talk the Stepdad out of a box of "Stuff" that had been kicking around the garage for decades.
The only things that I didn't pass on are a set of scale check weights and a 310 with dies for .30-06, .257 Roberts, and .303 British( I think).
Loaded a hell of a lot of .30-06 with that little tool.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I remember reading the things to never do when reloading and mixing smoke less powder was one thing you never want to do ok I'm crystal clear on that .But when loading for the 45-70 I read about the duplex loads of part smoke less and black powder mix .

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Art, just started bullet casting and am interested in the powder coating of the bullets rather than lubing them. What I understand is that the old powder scops work great to provide consistant amounts of PC. I still have the full Lee set that I used when first starting out reloading back in the early 60's. The things we keep ?!
I have a thread in the reloading section with pictures on my process of powder coating 45s, maybe it can help you.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I didn't see one of these in your pictures of "old school" reloading tools.
Decapping by hammer and punch.
The unpackaged and used one is .30 caliber (30 carbine, .308, 30.06) and anything else that will fit.
Primarily used on stubborn military crimped primers.
Yet to need the the one still in the blister pack.

20210220_214427.jpg
20210220_214245.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Love seeing some of the older tried and tested items that are still out there. First rifle loads I did in the 60s were for what was called 7.62 Russian then. Now known better as 7.62 x 54R.
Whatta Hobby!

My first rifle loading real press. Bought this old rock chucker and the 7x62 Russian dies in about 1969. Press has loaded well over 100k cartridges of different calibers in that period of time. Just moved her into semi-retirement after 50+ years and put in a Forster Co-ax.

Dies 4.jpg
Dies 3.jpg
dies 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Ben, don't be dissing my powder scale ! i use one just like that and an ohaus dual powder measure (had to get a new hopper as old one bdroke). I still use the tools I got when I fidrst started. They work so why chnge?

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By 1970 my re-loading was starting to bloom. I added dies for .444,30-06,.308,30-30, 243, 22 hornet and pistol dies for 9mm, .357 and 45 acp. Recently, last 20 years, added 22 Remjet, 45LC, 5.7x28, 6.5 Creedmoor and .450 bushmaster. Most of my older rifle dies have been replaced with Redding, Hornady and Forster of the SB variety.

Whatta Hobby.

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ben, don't be dissing my powder scale ! i use one just like that and an ohaus dual powder measure (had to get a new hopper as old one bdroke). I still use the tools I got when I fidrst started. They work so why chnge?
My Ohaus scale now resides with one of my sons up in Maine. Great scales. Nice to have someone to pass the hobby on to that , hopefully , will be of interest to my grandson that is now in college going to veterinarian school.

·
Premium Member
17,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Upon the suggestions of a number of other re-loaders I moved from the Rock-Chucker to a Forster Coax recently. Wish I had listened to them sooner. Added a few aftermarket parts like a right angle handle,led lighting and curved linkage that allow my hands better access to the cartridge. Only done a few thousand loads so far, but I am rating it 5 stars.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Shaun,
Thanks for Posting.

The powder measure is a Belding & Mull where powder is measured by volume. It was favored by Black Powder Cartage shooter. They have a review in Sharpe's book on Reloading late 30' I believe. Other items amongst the clutter are used Hollywood Senior for sizing and Forster for seating. Art amazing what we started with and what we use. Mixture of old & new.
Pfc out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts