M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I purchased what may be a bring back SKS.

The rifle has no import marks, any where. All the numbers match except the top cover. According to Poyers book on SKS's the date code in the serial number says it was made in 1967, and it looks like a weapon that has seen ALOT of use.

Does any one know what the value of a true bring back would be???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not Russian, it's Chinese. I just call them all SKS's.

As I said it has absolutely NO import stamps what-so-ever, I brought it to the show today and had a dealer whom I trust very much look it over. He was an armorer with the army for 20+ years, is a class 3 dealer, and has a manufacturing license, I trust his opinion as he has never done me wrong.

He also detail stripped the rifle and was of the opinion that it was indeed a bring back. The person I bought it from supposedly was a friend of the GI who brought it back, and purchased it from the widow when that friend died, I don't know. But it sure doesn't look like any other Chinese SKS I've ever seen, condition wise.

Would there be any way to try and trace any paperwork on this rifle??
Did the government keep any kind of records on weapons that were brought back??

·
Registered
947 Posts
There should have been paperwork to bring the rifle back to the US, but any unit copies will be long gone. These were $15 rifles during the war so few folks thought about saving their copies for collectors 35 years later!

We had enough of these "in stock" in my infantry company that most guys who wanted one could bring one home up until late '68 when the supply dried up and most captured weapons were the AKM-type.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I sure wish there were papers too, oh-well it's an interesting piece anyway.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D I brought one Back in 69 with War Trophy Papers both from our Provost Marshall and the South Vietnamese Q C, It had the Knife Bayonet on it which I lost back in the 70s and I stuck a Pigsticker on, It is Chinese,and I wish I hadn't Cleaned up the Stock on it years ago, I have no Idea what it's Worth :? I dont think much only to Me!
http://www.digitex.net/ericp/pr006.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.