M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, finally, finally made it out to the range last week. I took along my Wolfe built M14 and a couple other guns. Didn't have a ton of time out there but it was great just to be able to fire off a few rounds. I was shooting an 8 inch steel gong at 100 yards, standing.

The Wolfe M14 clone felt and shot really well. Even though I'm a pretty crummy shot, I was able to get most of my shots on the steel plate off hand. I didn't even try for good groups as I'm just not good enough to do that without resting the rifle. But I think there is a lot of potential with the rifle and the Wolfe modified barrel. One thing I wish I would have had him do is bed the rifle when I had it built. The lock up is a bit loose and I'm sure a bedding job would do wonders for the gun. If only I had been able to shoot off a bench to get a better idea of the groups it may be capable of... Maybe next time.

I inspected the rifle while cleaning it and everything stayed in place and looked good. No loosening of the flash hider, no odd rub marks. It all looked great. Excellent build quality. Overall I'm pleased with the rifle after it's first outing and can't wait to do more shooting with it. There are still a few things I want to do to it, but hey, what's life with out a (or several) money pit(s)? GI2

·
Premium Member
15,758 Posts
Sounds super.
I have used a couple of the Wolfe modified barrels and agree that the potential is there. Now to get the shooter in the right ball park.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
congrats on your Wolfe '14. Sounds sweet for sure. Some people say bedding is unnecessary for many shooters because they can not out-shoot the standard non bedded rifle. In reality I think a more accurate rifle equates to smaller groups for anyone using it, or it should anyway. What you want to use the rifle for exactly is what I would use to decide on bedding or not. I do tend to want to wring the most out of my rifles, so I do tend to go for bedding, however, it is nice on my battle rifle to be able to strip it down to clean and lube and not have to worry about any contaminates on my bedding or shearing off any of it.
I have a Wolfe modified medium weight chrome-lined fluted barrel, that was a mouth full, but I have not had the chance to see just what it is capable of yet. Everything Jon Wolfe puts his name behind is always excellent, so I have no concerns for the barrel, only my accuracy abilities. My abilities to have fun with it are second to none though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts