M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, just got back from the range where I was out shooting my new M1A for the first time. Zero at 200yds shooting about a 3-4in. group, with some swingers of course but I think those are my fault... USN2

At first the gun was having trouble bringing the rounds into the chamber, so a little oil and some polishing to the feed lips of the magazines made that problem a thing of the past. She's running almost flawless other than that but is still needing to break her in fully.

I'l try to get in some 600yd shooting sometime next week, might record a video. Here's a video from today.

http://s1133.photobucket.com/home/theturtle1/index

Let me know what you guys think. Tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,618 Posts
I think you should shoot it some more. Break in can take up to 300 rounds but no more. Your rifle seems to be shooting with reasonable accuracy, but you didn't say what ammunition you are using. With good ammo, a NM rifle should shoot about half the group size you are getting. f course there are other factors involved.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm not an "expierienced" rifle shooter, (I'm 17). but I was just using Magtech factory 159gr in about a 15mph crosswind.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've allready go a few hundred rounds of that USN5

·
Registered
714 Posts
Remember, you'r not just breaking the "The Rifle"...the barrel needs attention too. Be careful...but a good barrel cleaning between every few rounds on a new gun is not a bad idea.
Check the gas plug too for any evidence of it coming loose or backing out. But don't over tighten it.
You're also checking the mags for feeding/function too...and identify any problem ones and mags that may insert and feed better than others.
+1 for more rounds downrange to get it broken in and functioning nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.