M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get the advice of all you M14 experts on what your procedures are for breaking in a new rifle (after factory/test fire rounds).

Do you have a specific cleaning sequence per number of rounds, or do you just shoot it and clean it when you get home?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I break in new rifles by heating them up! Shoot 'till hot, let cool, repeat.

If you have a non chrome-lined barrel you may consider a break-in procedure. Some folks do it, some folks don't.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:!: Shoot it until it settles in, Don't Clean It to Death! :roll:

·
Registered
143 Posts
New Barrel Break-In

Why isn’t there a study to determine what’s best?

The important questions in life have already been answered. 308 vs. .223 – You may like one rifle platform over the other, and can argue magazine capacity vs. effectiveness per round, but there is no question about single round effectiveness.

Ginger vs. Mary Ann – again, there is no question. Mary Ann every time, although some may be able to argue the point.

But why is there no concrete answer on new barrel break-in? Do you need to break-in a new barrel? I didn’t list this as a poll because probably anything offered would be opinion. This can and should be answered, via research and scientific testing. There are so many differing opinions out there, that some concrete testing, to exacting standards, is way overdue. And I am not talking Chrome-lined, vs. production vs. buttoned, vs.….., I am talking what is best for each type of barrel.

Many people say no to any sort of break in and that it only adds to the barrel wear. It’s a waste of time, and only is recommended by barrel makers so they can sell more barrels. I think our own Quagmire is in this camp. Gale McMillan voids the warranty on his rifles is somebody uses JB paste (which is commonly used for break-ins).

Obviously, many people do feel a break-in process is necessary, and that it “ season’s “ the barrel, especially for those barrels that aren’t polished or lapped. I have seen 20 different break-in procedures.

I’m not looking for another opinion. I guess I wish there had been a true research-study comparison on this. If there has, I haven’t seen it.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
A battle pack of good ball ammo works for me. Clean before going to the range & again after you get home. Have fun breaking that puppy in :arm12: .

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've seen the millions of options regarding break in too. Seems that the opinions are split between lots of cleaning between shots and no cleaning at all until the end of shooting session. So I go down the middle. I started with cleaning between shoots for the first 5 shots. Then run only one patch through bore, just to get most of crud out, then continue after ever 10 shots. After 100 rounds I considered that broken in.

I don't know if it really made any difference, but just as an example, for 3 match barrels I have broken in, for rifles advetised as sub 1.5 moa; they all shot sub 1 moa. Maybe they would have shot sub 1 moa without a carefull breakin?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I get a new BoreSnake when I get a new rifle
I put some CLP on it , run it thru the barrel once before the 1st shot, then between shots for the 1st 5 shots then no more till I'm done shooting.
Give the barrel a few passes with the snake before I head home for the real cleaning

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.