M14 Forum banner

Breaking her in

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  dhollis51 
#1 ·
** * * Okay, so I have been lurking around my local gun shop for almost a year now. Every week, my parents take me there, I drool over the M1A Super-Matches, and then we leave as my heart once again falls to the floor only to stay with what it wants most. However, yesterday was different, when we went to look, it turned out that my mother had planned for a little more. So after an hour of thanking her, I wound up in my office/armory reading the manual over and over. I was left wondering though. So, I have come to this site in search of much needed advice as to what I should do as soon as I take it out of the box, before I shoot it, and after I shoot it. Would you please help?*:ARM36:

#4 ·
Opinions vary as to how to break in a barrel. Personally I don't waste a lot of time or ammo breaking one in. Just don't get the barrel real hot right at first.
Your bio says your a competition shooter so I assume you have a place to shoot. In your post you say that your parents took you to the gun shop, so that means you are likely too young to drive. Are you on a High shool rifle team? If so maybe your coach can help getting you started shooting this rifle. A lot of us here started shooting at a very young age and we are very happy to see a person like yourself getting into the game. There are some good online videos on how to field strip these rifles just google it. I would suggest you familiarise yourself with it at least to field stripping and cleaning before shooting.

#5 ·
Barrel Break In...

When I bought my M1A I asked the forum for tips on breaking in the barrel. Most of these guys don't bother. The thinking is this is a combat rifle and requires no break in? I followed the above post for Krieger Barrels and had excellent results.
The other one that might interest you is here:
http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/barrel-break-in.html

I enjoyed the break in process and found that the groups tightened as I went along. I took my time and enjoyed the journey...it took 4 hours. I have very little copper fouling now as a result. There is no reason why you wouldn't zero the rifle while you perform the break in procedures. I did. You will see the groups tighten, too.

•••The most important thing with your new rifle is to clean it completely and lubricate it thoroughly before firing. You will find stickies here on the forum that will walk you through the appropriate process. This will require a take down.

Have fun, enjoy the journey.

#7 ·
Spend the next week reading the stickies. Then spend the week after that reading the stickies GI2 You'll learn a lot really quick.

Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you!

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rifle ! Take High Hats and the others advice, lots of reading first. Then, disassemble your rifle and get a strong bright flexible neck, small bore light, I call mine snake. Inspect the chamber closely for imperfections, ridges, factory trash, and oil residue, then look down the barrel bore and inspect it. Check flash hider to make sure it is tight, check gas lock and break it loose with the right wrench before shooting because they have been putting them on too tight lately, and after firing ,it will be tougher to break loose. When you get it loose, clean and put anti sieze compound on the threads and reinstall it to 15lbs. of torque only. Run the rear sight elevation knob all the way down, then count eight clicks up and stop. Center windage knob clicks till the line is centered with the one on the back of the receiver. Grease it up like stickies say in sticky section and get some good ammo, bench it to sight in, then have a blast. Any problems you experience, post and ask about them, but you likely won't have any except running out of ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.