M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some measuring of brass weights (empty cartridge, no primer, trimmed to 2.005"). Figured some of you guys might find it interesting. Only average of three cases, most were withing a grain of average.

LC '05 (from M118LR): 177.1 gr
Winchester: 158.2 gr
PPU (from PRVI match): 166.1 gr
Remington: 166.9 gr
Hornady Match (Black): 154.9 gr
Federal: 177.7 gr
Frontier (believe this was prev. hornady): 156.0 gr

I'm surprised that the Federal was just as heavy as the Lake City. I'm guessing it's not as hard, though. The Winchester was pretty light, but is fairly well regarded, so it must be comprised of good brass? PPU is pretty close to Remington, I hope it is a bit harder than Rem. (it was annealed from the factory), so I can get a fair number of reloads from them.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Back in the early 80's I was going through the weighing brass thing and I remember the military brass (a bunch of LC brass but don't remember the dates) was coming in around 182, 183 with a smaller spread in either direction.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I believe Hornady and Frontier cases are made by Winchester and Black Hill cases are made by Winchester also. I think Nosler cases are made by Federal. Federal cases have thicker case walls but seem thin in the case heads. Remington cases seem to vary in weight a bit more than the others but case life is usually decent as long as the rims haven't been damaged. Winchester cases seem closer in weight to each other and the brass seems a bit harder. Some foreign military cases, even from NATO countries, are over the weight limit allowed for US military cases. FN cases are usually very heavy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts