M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the lack of technical terms here, hopefully I can get the idea across.

After having put about 200 rounds through my M1a Scout I figured I would learn how to disassemble it and give it a cleaning.

In the reciever where the bullet feeds into the barrel (don't know the term for this, chamber?), there was a considerable amount of brass shavings all around the hole.

I've been using decent factory ammo, 165gr American Eagles and 150gr Hornadys. I've never seen this on an AR or AK so I'm not sure if it's normal/ok.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
There are (at least) 2 possibilities -
1) The extractor (the 'claw' on the righthand side of the bolt face) is chewing on the rim.
2) The 2 'feed grooves' (at 5 & 7 o'clock on the chamber opening) are shaving copper as the cartridge is pushed into the chamber.

If all that you are seeing is metal 'dust' then I wouldn't worry about it - the feeding and extraction with a semi-auto is pretty violent.
If you see actual 'chips', then more investigation is a good idea.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Those brass shavings can be caused by the feed lips of your magazines, extractor claw, or by sharp machine edges of the feed ramps. A good way to tell is to load up a full mag and fire off one round. Manually eject the next round that has been chambered. Carefully inspect that case to see where the shavings are showing. If you have "skitter" marks on the bullet tip or case lengthwise this is usually caused by sharp edges on the feed ramps. If it looks like some brass has been scraped of the case head, the magazine lips or the extractor is the problem. A little careful removal of the sharp edges at fault with a round stone will correct the problem. dozier

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was under the impression that due to the violent loading action of the m1a/m14, brass shavings were to be expected? after 100 or so rounds I typically have a large amount of shavings, but never had a FTF or FTE.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I was under the impression that due to the violent loading action of the m1a/m14, brass shavings were to be expected? after 100 or so rounds I typically have a large amount of shavings, but never had a FTF or FTE.
Not necessarily, taking the sharp edges off the feed ramp will make most, if not all go away. dozier

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
That's right. Gentle de-horning at the feed ramps will smooth up feeding from the magazine. If it's just leaving the same kind of tiny brass flakes at the breech as it leaves on the bolt-face, it's nothing to sweat either way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts