M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First extended shooting at range , and I shot 50 rounds down range . A problem raised its ugly head mith my 3 month old Springfield armory M1A . I noticed that I was starting to find dings on the side of the bolt housing and even two dings on my stock at the ejection port . Also found small brass shavings inside the open bolt chamber . I have fired a few rounds at a time since I bought the Rifle and never expierienced a problem . I have used Federal Gold medal match 168 gr the whole Time :roll: . Any thoughts for this FNG ? Semper Fi , Whip

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention that I checked all my shells , I have saved all shells that I have put through her and all have 3 uniform scratches on the Rims . Thanks for any help . Whip

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Info on my rifle . It is a SA Loaded standard MA 9222 . It shot good 8 shot group at 1 3/4" MOA . It is headspaced at 1.6315 , And it is this I am worried about with the Brass shavings . Thanks again for any help . Whip

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 8 shot group was at 100 meters by the way . Not bad for a rookie , IMO . Never shot an M14 before , until 85 when the Btl XO was with us at the range at Pendelton . He had the one he was issued as an enlistee during Nam , and he gave some of us a crack at her . I was in the Marines from 83 to 85 . Served with Lima Btry 2nd Btl 12th marines in Okinawa . did the rest of my time with Echo Btry 2nd Btl 11th Marines at pendelton . Just a little back ground on my Military experience . And Im sure most can tell by my User name I was a Radio man . Sorry for the rambling , Semper Fi , Whip

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Where were you on the Rock? Schwab? I was down at Butler back before it moved above Foster. I was also at Foster most of the time I was there(72-73) Semper-Fi! Hawk

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Guest said:
Forgot to mention that I checked all my shells , I have saved all shells that I have put through her and all have 3 uniform scratches on the Rims . Thanks for any help . Whip
You might want to make a phone call to Springfield. Sounds like an extraxtor problem to me unless maybe the chamber needs some polishing

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the Rock

Hawk7173 said:
Where were you on the Rock? Schwab? I was down at Butler back before it moved above Foster. I was also at Foster most of the time I was there(72-73) Semper-Fi! Hawk
I was at camp Butler on foster between 84-85 . My post had a typo I was in from 83 to 86 not 85 . Still no luck with the Login . I think the problem is that I never activated my user name because of the Email block . I never received an Email to activate it . I tried the new Pass word but no dice . Thanks for your help Hawk , Ill give Springfield a call .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts