M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Totally normal. I was worried the first time I fired mine too. I looked online at some photos of dirty M1A's and found them looking like mine before a cleaning.
Feel good about feeding your rifle. Just like our muscles being a bit sore the next day after a workout I guess. At least that's how I think of it.

Give her a shower, so to speak, and she'll be good to go.

Dutch

p.s. Don't feel bad about the tiny marks on the receiver that will start to show after a few hundred go though her. Those marks are the casings being spit out of her.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,621 Posts
Yeah the marks are normal. I call them love marks. My OP Rod has a ton of brass marks on it.
+1, it normal. Enjoy your rifle on the firing range.

GI5

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Brand new rifle, happened on 2nd box of ammo.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure the rifle is lubed properly, use the proper ammo and let the parts work in. My rifle didn't become an utterly reliable shooter until the bolt worked into the receiver really well. It took about 100rds or so and it left a little dimple where the bolt initially engages the receiver on its way back.

If you have a problem after that, then worry about it.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Just some 20$ box of winchester .308. Only one failure to eject, but she spits lead down range like a champ. Also the elevation is a mother to adjust.
If it was anything like the Winchester .308 I was using at first with the exposed lead tips, that may have been the issue. These rifles only like FMJ. I still have a box of Winchester ammo from 1997 I stopped using after I got some FN NATO 7.62x51 in bulk.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Follow Tonyben's videos for proper lubrication... he covers the rear sight lubrication too and that should help your elevation adjustment.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
If it was anything like the Winchester .308 I was using at first with the exposed lead tips, that may have been the issue. These rifles only like FMJ. I still have a box of Winchester ammo from 1997 I stopped using after I got some FN NATO 7.62x51 in bulk.
You can use The SMK's and Nosler CC's and some of the plastic tip bullets like the ones nosler offers and hornady. FMJ,HPBT and Plastic tip bullets are all I use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts