M14 Forum banner

Brass selection for reloading

1859 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Walnut and Steel
I’m hoping to start reloading for my M-14s soon, focusing on accuracy. I have a couple hundred once fired FGMM cases. But I also have a lot of PPU and MEN brass too.

Any suggestions as to which brass might be better for match grade ammo loading?
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
If you can even get it IMI made match brass for the 7.62. It's supposed to be milspec for your brass muncher. It may not meet your accuracy standards. Top Brass use to sell prepared brass for loading but that is a big "if" they got it and you may be getting LC. Lapua is great.....price not so great. Nosler might still make brass. Starline is good brass in multiple calibers. Case prep is very important for consistency. Mil spec brass is usually thicker so you may have to reduce powder charges slightly. Good luck.

· Registered
94 Posts
Picked up 1.5K of unfired Lake City 69 brass a couple of months ago from an old shooting buddy from the 80s. Bullets had all been pulled and cases necked sized.
Loaded 200 and went shooting, not split cases or problems with the old brass or primers. All the brass was stored in G.I. 50cal ammo cans. These cases were basically Mexican Match prepped, lol.
All it cost me was dinner for him and his wife, almost had to force him to take that. He had to take the dinner after I offered it with his was present in the room, lol.

· Registered
135 Posts
Federal GMM brass is so soft that I wound up with impending case head separation after four firings, meaning that it was not safe on the fourth firing.Not even with a hot load, these were GMM clones at the same 2,609 fps with a Magnetospeed. Fed has been quoted here as saying they don't sell brass for reloading and don't recommend their factory loads be re-loaded. PPU on the other hand, does sell empty brass for us to reload. I found based on chronographed MV that PPU (prepped from factory loads) seems to have equivalent case capacity to FC. Currently, I'm doing my best to use up some Hornady Frontier and Winchester USA Valor factory loads in order to re-use the LC brass (will have to do new load workups with them). I have some Lapua brass but i'm saving that for the bolt guns.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts