M14 Forum banner

Brass selection for reloading

1858 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Walnut and Steel
I’m hoping to start reloading for my M-14s soon, focusing on accuracy. I have a couple hundred once fired FGMM cases. But I also have a lot of PPU and MEN brass too.

Any suggestions as to which brass might be better for match grade ammo loading?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Have loaded each. The FGMM is a bit softer than the others, but all shoot well. Won’t notice much of a diffference down range in these rifles, and you can get good consistent loads (<1.5 moa, 10 rd groups at 300 yds) with each of those cases - but you may end up with rougher rims on the softer brass. M1As chew up brass like it is cool.

4 firings and I’m done with any brass in this platform.

· Premium Member
22,450 Posts
Of your listed choices, MEN has worked best for my accuracy loads. Problem now is finding the right berdan primers. The 7.62Ns are all but gone. Sure would be nice if one of the importers would find us some. For years berdan was sold as non-reloadable and got folks believing it so the marketplace for the berdan primers became very small.

· Registered
784 Posts
I’m hoping to start reloading for my M-14s soon, focusing on accuracy. I have a couple hundred once fired FGMM cases. But I also have a lot of PPU and MEN brass too.

I have always thought that keeping one mfg. of brass and then excluding the ones that were radically different in weight, provided more and consistent accuracy. I tested this theory with several .223 mfgs (PPU, REM, Military, Win, Hornady, Fed, etc) and discovered I was correct. I worked up my best load (powder, primer and bullet) with Rem brass and pet AR and reloaded the same loads in the other bass cases. Groups shifted at 100 yds. If my old memory is correct, Rem and PPU were identical. The rest moved away.

· Premium Member
8,682 Posts
When I first started shooting my old SAI Supermatch I settled on PPU brass and it worked well for me. Am using StarLine brass in all my rifles now and like it as you do not need to do any primer work on it when new; just neck size, trim and load.

Reactions: nf1e

· Registered
2,972 Posts
Just got a note the Powder Valley has 7.62N berdan primers. Ya Hoooo!

Hello,
Thanks, Art. Well, kinda.
But, since the 7.62N Berdan primers haven't been around for some time now; I thought I'd bite the bullet at the going rate and bought some(2k). Now, I can give those snake eyes brass a try... and that RCBS deprimer tool a work out. What a hobby... Gotta spend it somewhere/sometime.
Again, Thanks for the heads up.

· Premium Member
22,450 Posts
Hello,
Thanks, Art. Well, kinda.
But, since the 7.62N Berdan primers haven't been around for some time now; I thought I'd bite the bullet at the going rate and bought some(2k). Now, I can give those snake eyes brass a try... and that RCBS deprimer tool a work out. What a hobby... Gotta spend it somewhere/sometime.
Again, Thanks for the heads up.
I think you will really enjoy the process and the accuracy.

· Premium Member
22,450 Posts
Hello, Don't worry.
I'll be picking your brain for some load data on various bullet weights. I have a shat-load of some 130gr OTM that Midway was selling a few years back. I just haven't used them yet for the 22" M1As though.
Anything from 110s up are a real hoot to set up loads for. Recently I have been playing with 115 Berger FB over 45 gn of Norma 210 and having a ball. Cranking them out around 3K fps does a decent job in the M14. I keep bullets for the .308 on the shelf up to 220 gn. Not to be used in my semis, but fun it the long range bolts. Whatta Hobby!

Plant Air gun Wood Military camouflage Machine gun
Textile Triangle Font Red Line

· Registered
6,373 Posts

MATCH head stamped brass from the 1980s is pretty good.

Don't know about "better."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts