M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a mostly stock springfield standard.

Sadlak mount.

I had issues with the brass getting stuck high in the bolt before, but flipped my scope mounts so the nuts were on the left side of the rifle and it went away.

I noticed a while back that my mount looks like this:

note the wear at the back, and also at the front

also looks like its contacting the operating rod handle

clearly been getting hit with brass, and i assume that isnt really normal.

Time for USGI bolt guts? or at the very least, USGI extractor and spring/plunger?

P.s. please dont mind the scratches on the scope, its an old first gen springfield, or the dust/dirt in the pics. haven't cleaned her since the range trip last weekend :-(

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I would try a different ejector spring. Or cut a few coils off of the old ejector spring.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
USGI extractor and spring/plunger?
Yes, I would give that a try. I changed these parts on both my Scouts when I first got them. Although you really don't have a "problem" per say, if don't mind the dinks. That's got to be messing up your brass. Do you reload? If you do reload, I would definitely change to USGI extractor and spring/plunger and see if it made a difference; I do not have a Sadlak mount (Bassett Low) so I can't say for sure if it will help.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
The brass strikes are normal but the deformed metal isn't, I don't know why it's happening but I would look for the cause.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Call Sadlak and see if they have any answers, Roger is great help, I'm having the same problem with my Clint Fowler SM, my knowledgeable friends"Bamban" thinks the ejector is the problem, either spring is worn and compressed or someone who has used my SM in competition may have cut a few spring coils off, making it weaker, so the brass will fall close to the muzzle of the barrel, instead of being thrown into other competitors area, and the chase down factor, I'm going to replace all bolt parts on my days off to see if that fixes my problem, update later.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'm not worried about it at all, dont care about a few dings, but it seemed a little odd that it was that deformed. This IS just the cheap aluminum version, so, perhaps thats why it's deforming easier than the steel or titanium ones?

The brass is coming out fine, as I collect it all. I reload, but not .308 so I just give the brass to my buddy for his R700.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
That deformed metal is stacking tolerances you could relieve those areas a bit with a dremel if you want.
How are you defining "stacking tolerances"?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
At any rate, that metal deformation has nothing to do with stacking tolerances, but something is peening the metal and you need to find out what it is.

Are you using steel cased ammo?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I had the same problem with a sadlak mount on mine, when I used their stencil/pattern thing and measured my receiver I found that the stripper clip guide was a bit too far forward. So that part of the mount sat just a hair differently than it should have causing brass to come into contact with it more often. Then you have extractor/ejector spring tension, if it's USGI vs Springfield that is different too. There are your 'stacking tolerances'.

As long as it is functioning 100% I would not worry about it one bit.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
That makes sense but I'd suspect that the peening would be a problem with one end of the mount not both ends. On the other hand, if the OP is using steel cased ammo then I could see where there would be wear on both ends of the aluminum mount.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At any rate, that metal deformation has nothing to do with stacking tolerances, but something is peening the metal and you need to find out what it is.

Are you using steel cased ammo?
Nope, no steel cased ammo. Just a mixture of various surplus 7.62 and commercial brass cased .308 win.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And again, I haven't had any FTE's or anything lately, rifle is running fine. I just noticed the odd wear/damage or however you want to call it.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
If changing the extractor doesn't work, I would go with grinding the offending corners of the mount with a Dremel Tool. Dremel makes a little sanding wheel tool that would be perfect for the job. As for sanding on the mount, the whell will clog up pretty fast with the soft aluminum, so get yourself extra wheels. A little touchup with a black magic marker and you should be GTG. dozier

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Here's a wild idea: Use a digital camera to record brass ejection when shooting. Afterwards, slowly playback the footage. Maybe you will see something strange...maybe.

Just my two pennies added to the discussion.

Best regards for a solution,
D1

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Clean the mount and cover the suspect areas with some cheap black modelling paint. Use the digital camera or have a friend watch closely while you shoot. Look for fresh marks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great ideas guys. I've got a little gopro-type camera that i can stick on a baby tripod next to me.

I'll see whats up next time i hit the range or desert. Thanks for the good idea!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts