M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a lot of LC 06 cartridges at a garage sale.
Killer deal.
I figured I’d shelf my commercial brass and load only LC 06.
Half way shooting them for the first time I found two cases that had leaked.
I’m done shooting them and found five cases total.
The brass had some poor storage marks on them but I have a vibrator And wanted the brass.
I’m not loading this brass.
I don’t have much choice but to scrap it all. I had

High hopes for this brass.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I guess now you know why they went for cheap.Glad you're not like the seller who passed it on to make a buck. Now i don't know if the seller knew but...

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
Wow, looks like you are the proud owner of someone else's culls.
I would dump the whole batch an find decent brass to work with.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not reload them. This was the first time they were shot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bad batch of brass I guess ? I’ve had old 8mm ammo & 303 do that but never an LC case ....what load did you use to shoot them ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you look closely at the picture of the primed,but fired brass, I can see at least 4 that appear to have flattened primers, as do the ones with the split cases(hard to tell, fuzzy pic). Anyway, it looks like this brass was abused before you got them.

Redraider

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That is why I asked if the swaging was still intact. As we know reloads are sold with no prior warning about it, and then bought knowing also. Could have been factory rejects pulled down and sized and put back into service, work hardened cases.

It also appears that blemishing, corrosion is on some of the cases. The bottom two laid out cases I would have culled and not discharged anyway just for that reason alone. That is corrosion on the outside, what does the inside look like.

All this is assuming, need more information.

Was it belted machine gun ammunition?

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,148 Posts
I bought a few hundred once fired LC 06-07 .50 BMG cases that had weird neck splits, I had to cull about 1 in 8. maybe they were just having a bad time with brass back then.
While a problem with 7.62 brass can hurt you, A problem with .50 BMG brass can kill you.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I've seen that three times.

1st was a brand new store bought Hornady .30-06 load bought for the brass. Since I reloaded I picked the brass up and one was cracked/burnt through like that. Never bought another box of Hornady ammo.

2nd was a brand new Remington .44 magnum case fired in the Ruger Super Black Hawk. I did keep buying Remington ammo when I could afford it.

3rd was a bunch of reloads in my brothers SA 1911 Government Model. Two or three from every magazine would have a similar split. I bought him a new barrel and that cured that problem. Same reloads (230 grain LRN over 6 grains of Unique) never split in my .45's.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
There is only one reason why a case will fracture like that;

The case expanded more than the tensile strength would allow

So either the case is brittle and can't expand to the size it should or the chamber is too large and the case is expanding beyond the normal limits. If your rifle shoots other brands of ammo without problems then I'd say that there isn't anything wrong with your chamber and it's the LC06 ammo.

If you see any pink color inside or outside of the case then you have corroded brass that has had zinc leached out of it. This can happen if the brass was stored close to ammonia vapors.

As I've said many times, the military isn't in the business of selling ammo, they only sell ammo that no longer meets their standards. Typically ammo that is sold has exceeded storage standards; too hot, too cold, corrosion, etc.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,148 Posts
2nd was a brand new Remington .44 magnum case fired in the Ruger Super Black Hawk. I did keep buying Remington ammo when I could afford it.
Years ago I had a factory Remington Nickel plated .44 mag that did not have a flash hole in the case, it jammed my S&W 29 up tight when the primer backed out and flowed in to the slot for the firing pin.

Casey

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Welcome to the club. I had to junk almost 2000 LC cases... most right in the LC05-06-07 headstamp range. In my case, besides the case splits, I had case head fractures that blew out the magazine and gave me a snort of gas in the face. I no longer buy any 'once-fired' rifle brass from anyone, and any 7.62mm LC ammo in particular, loaded or empty, (caveat: LC/Federal, not necessarily LC/Winchester... yet.)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spotted them when I was sizing them, It could have been a larger batch, they could have hurt me or my rifle. I got off easy.
I loaded up RP cases with 168gr FMJBT and some Feds with 150gr FMJBT.
I’m chucking them up in the cordless drill and making them shine with a Scotch Bright pad.
I’ll recycle the Bad LC 06 on Monday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.