M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through the forum a little before putting this up and saw that it wasn't necessarily a problem for some M1As to bounce some brass forward. One guy commented that his ejected it all to the 1 o'clock position.

I noticed that when firing my 22in that it ejects the cases in multiple directions. Some will be to the rear or the 5 o'clock but some will go forward. Its inconsistent. With my scout all the brass comes out at the 5 o'clock. I haven't had any jams on my 22in but the other day noticed that some of the rims of my cases were getting a little chewed up. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow for you guys to look at.

The 22in is all original springfield armory except for the USGI synthetic stock. I'm not sure about the scout, I bought it used from a member on this site so I'm not sure if he had used USGI parts on the scout bolt.

What are your thoughts? Should I just strip the bolt and rebuild with USGI parts like the extractor and ejector? I appreciate the help and will post a picture of the brass sometime tomorrow for you guys to look at. I'm also going shooting this weekend and will pay close attention to the way it functions.

Also, the only other problem I've seen lately was a failure to feed but to be honest, it could have been improperly seated rounds in the magazine. Happened two or three times to a buddy of mine who is also military and familiar with the M14. After that I had striped it, cleaned it and greased it up with tetra. I happened once more to me the next weekend.

·
Registered
492 Posts
With a clean rifle and clean brass my SA 22inch puts the empty's at 2;30 about 6 ft away. I bet a cat box would catch most of them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yea, as above make sure your gun is clean, gas system is working properly and that you're shooting good ammo.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've always been told that if your rifle is lubed properly it will toss the brass from 1-3 o'clock. If it is going beyond that you are running too dry. I believe it to be true as when it has happened to me I put enough grease in all the right places and am back to between 1-3.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine tosses 80 % in the 4-5 o'clock and the remainder goes in the 2-3 o'clock

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just to clarify, the rifle was still throwing brass in different directions after I cleaned and greased it up. Thats why I was starting to thinking about replacing some of the bolt components.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
just to clarify, the rifle was still throwing brass in different directions after I cleaned and greased it up. Thats why I was starting to thinking about replacing some of the bolt components.
It appears as though the extracter is extracting and the ejector is ejecting, so there isn't much left in the bolt that would affect the brass.

On a normal ejection, the the ejected casing is hit by the op rod moving forward to chamber the next round. Late patterns, such as 4 o'clock or more suggests the gas system is running a little off.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did shim the gas system a while back. It functions, I guess I just wanted to ask you guys about it throwing brass in no real pattern. Like I said, my scout is pretty consistent. But that might be just the way my 22in functions. Thanks.

Just to be sure though, what can I do to make sure my gas system is working fine?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just got home from a day at the range with my Loaded M-1A done up to NM specs.

My rifle used to dump them all over the place from about 1 to 6 oclock. Somewhere along the way, I think when I put a G.I. extractor in the bolt, I change the ejector spring to a shorter one. Since then it dumps them all in a nice little pile at 1 oclock about 3 feet out. I think I could land them all in a coffe can!

I did change it back to a long spring at another time and it changed the pattern back to around 5 oclock, did not like that, put the short one back in right there at the range and immediatly back to the 1 olcock position.

If you would like to change the pattern, you may want to give diffrent spring lengths a try. I really like the way mine ejects because I don't have to go look all over the range trying to figure out where my brass went. Now I need to try that with my Garand!

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
The direction of ejection.... Sounds like poetry... is dependent on bolt velocity, not ejector or extractor tension.When the rifle throws brass out at 3 o'clock or back further it is running slow. Brass is not ejected forward, it is knocked forward by the op rod. Cycling slow doesn't allow the op rod to properly engage the brass. Pressure from the cartridges being pushed up in the magazine will cause the ejected brass to fly out different directions too.

Match armorers often will slightly enlarge (1 or 2 thousands) the gas port to increase bolt velocity and make the rifle eject forward. This isn't something an inexperienced person should do at home.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
ooh, ooh, a perfect chance to post one of these again:

GI1

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Uh oh, I broke the forum...GI3

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help guys. I just wanted to make sure it was functioning normal. Its not throwing brass to the 3 o'clock but I guess as long as it fires reliably it should be ok.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
mine-(m-14)does-not-eject-thebrass-atall.....checked-andcleaned-twice....still-spent-round-is-in-the-chamber...needhelp-please
Turn on your Spindle Valve. "The screw on the Gas Cylinder". While holding the Rifle the Screw Slot should be Vertical

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mine was throwing brass at 1 o'clock, but as the afternoon progressed it ended up throwing it at 4 o'clock. Then I packed up and went home at 4:30.

Sorry, guys, couldn't resist. Mine throws it consistently between 3 and 4 o'clock, and they land just before hitting the shooting position to my right (about 4-5 feet). So, Ted, I suppose the velocity of the oprod isn't regulated by the strength of the load at all? I'm running the "usual", 41.5 of H4895 pushing a 168 AMAX or SMK. Is it a problem if the gun cycles at this rate?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Match guns. In my experience, a finely tuned match rifle should put all the brass ( of one load type) in a nice pile - I don't care where, as long as it is consistent.

It is very distracting to precision shooting if you are watching where your brass goes, but I seem to recall being able to call a flyer, based on the brass being ejected to a different location. Time for more fine tuning!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts