M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Anyone use a sonic cleaner than tumble in media? If so do they have to be completely dry before tumbling?
Before tumbling? Why do you tumble after cleaning them?

I clean mine in a ultrasonic cleaner using the recommended cleaning solution. I stick about 50 cases in the basket and clean for about 30 to 60 minutes (depending on how new the cleaning solution is) and then rinse thoroughly in hot water and finish up by placing the brass in a cartridge board and then running the blow dryer over them for a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
18,859 Posts
I use the ultrasonic for cleaning all my Berdan brass. Then it gets rinsed , put on pizza pans and into the oven for a 30 minute dry at 250 deg. Sometimes if it is real nasty it will get a ride in the wet tumble with ss media.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I deprime my brass than into the sonic for 30 minutes. I use compressed air to remove the excess water. Than I sized them using Imperial wax. I was considering buying a tumbler to use to remove the lube and give them a bit more shine

·
Read Only
340 Posts
Yes, brass needs to be dry before tumbling in either corn cob or walnut media. If wet, media, usually very small grains or even powderized, tends to stick to the inside of the cases. The cases will then have different amounts of capacity and accuracy will be affected. Too, when loading to max levels I suspect you could experience excessive pressure with media residue left inside the case.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
The biggest mistake that I made when I started using the ultrasonic cleaner was not rinsing my brass after cleaning them. Rinsing removes the heavy dish soap like coating and the brass is shinier, almost as good as tumbling. I clean twice, first before sizing and second as a last step to get the lube off.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
I usually clean my brass while I'm doing other things around the house so when they are finished I tend to put them away for days or weeks before I get around to loading them, so yes, they are completely dry before I size them. If I intend to load them right away then I usually hit them with the blow dryer for about 5 minutes and let them cool standing up in the loading rack, they are usually completely dry by the time they are cool.

If you want to get them to dry even more quickly then you can rinse them in hot water (removes the residue from the cleaner), then Acetone (displaces the water), and finally blow dry with heat. You can pick up Acetone by the gallon at most hardware or paint stores.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Clean Beass

I like clean brass.
Step's
1. clean in acetone get rid of grime and residue,dirt. This will let your sizing die last longer
2. Lube.
3. Resize,deprime,trim to length,primer pockets remove crimps.bevel
primer pockets, take care of case mouth inside and out. ect.ect.
4. clean in acetone to remove sizing lube and brass shavings.
5. Tumble in walnut with auto rubbing compound added.
6. Air blow in colinder to remove walnut dust.
7. Clean flash holes of media.
8. Reload
9. Shoot.
10. Start over
I know this is a lot of step's but it keeps me home when not at the range or on the river.
ps. I'm retired.

Vern

1 - 10 of 10 Posts