M14 Forum banner

Brass Catcher

21362 Views 34 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  DenStinett
Ok guys, the range I go to now claims the brass if it lands in front of the bench! So I'm looking for a Brass Catcher that is compatible with a scoped M14. LC LR Brass is to expensive to give it away!

LT-
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
536 Posts
I've see folks at bullseye matches use a butterfly catching net mounted on a post to catch pistol brass. I don't know how it would hold up to hot 7.62 brass though. Man, I'm glad I can shoot on public land. That's BS...

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it is BS. TX is 96% Private Land and the Tree Huggen Fairies from California have been taken away our Freedoms, right and left! Now I gotta go to the range with a Battle Rifle in one hand and a Butterfly Net in the other!

This is TX Dang It!

LT-

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Yeah, I know how you feel. I was out at the range a while back and a pile got built up next to my bench of all LC surplus .308. I walked away to go to the Sh*tter and when I came back it was all gone. Some little tweaker swooped in and took all my brass for scrap. DISHOUT

Reactions: SGT John SWF

· Registered
1,523 Posts
Fish Net Anyone?

Here is my brass catcher I made out of PVC and a fish net. No problems with the neighbor on the right. Just some fresh hot fired brass bouncing off back to me on occasion. DI5

USCG EBRM14 T>Range Report

· Registered
237 Posts
small bathroom sized window screen proped up and angled slightly does the job nicely, drops hot brass dead in its' tracks with no ricochets bouncing back on you or your rifle. and thats from a NorCal tree hugging crystal grippin hippie with a battle rifle and 11 mls per gallon smog challenged truck, who votes to preserve your gun rights too.

· Rest in Peace
2,064 Posts
Someone gave me one of THESE a while back. You could make something similar for less money, but this one works like a champ. It will even mount on a tripod for shooting offhand. I notice they are on sale right now at Midway.

I saw someone here post a picture of a cheap net suitcase from WallyWorld that did essentially the same thing, but I've been looking every time I go there and haven't found one yet.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Do NOT buy this brass catcher!

This one sounds good, but doesn't work worth @#$%. It screws into the scope mount hole and on my M14, a complete failure. The one featured at Midway is pretty good. There are others, incluidng one that folds into and out of an ammo can that looks good as well but very expensive.

Bruce

· Registered
74 Posts
Cheap homemade brass catcher using PVC tubing and fittings. All held by friction, not glue, so it can swivel and tilt to match each ejection pattern. Add longer upright tube to raise height if necessary. The wire frames and wing nuts to provide depth to the netting are U-brackets from old CMP ammo crates. Only tools needed are a hacksaw and drill.

· Registered
560 Posts
Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one.... I'm trying to keep my brass also, as we all are I'm sure, and was thinking maybe a fish net? I suppose only downside would be it may burn? Curious if anyone else has some good ideas.

Thanks all!!

Mac

· Premium Member
22,451 Posts

· Registered
433 Posts
I used to use a plastic tub that also pulled duty at a supply bin for the range. Tilted it on its side and put a bit of weight in it, and it caught most anything. SG Garand would launch brass in front and/or over it, so I came up with a unit made of threaded rod, window mesh, and some angle iron. Kind of looks like the piece with the pool cleaner head on it. I use butterfly nuts to unscrew it from the angle iron for easier transport.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.