M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to guns or shooting but new to M1A's. I have always wanted a M1A and finally bellied up to the bar and ordered a Bula Defense 22" DMR with a National Match barrel. I do reload but am not setup for .308 yet. I have ordered some ammo to hold me until the reloading components and dies come in.

A couple of questions for those that do reload for M1A's. What is a good powder/bullet combination?

Also what spare parts should I keep on hand and a good source for these parts?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Dave

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Welcome to the rabbit hole. This place is like an M14 "crack" house. Addicts and enablers are both welcome. Rehab is not encouraged. Stop by anytime you need advice, parts or just have symptoms of withdrawal.

For starters, pour a glass of your favorite spirit and watch these two videos...

The bible is FM 23-8. Chapter 5 shows the important grease points.

FM 23-8 U.S. Rifle 7.62-MM, M14 : United States. Department of the Army : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

FM 23-71 will help you at the range. Chapter 3 covers the sights.

FM 23-71 Rifle Marksmanship : United States. Department of the Army : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

When your brain can't handle any more, we dumb things down a bit on this thread...

PS Magazine

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
I'm guessing that your favorite spirit is WhistlePig. I've tried a couple of the less expensive variants.

My standard load duplicates the FGMM 175 (GM762M2). 43 grains of IMR 4064 under a 175 SMK in a commercial case, 42.5 grains in an LC 15.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
Now you have made a good decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you can post often Whistle pig. Heroism is endurance for one moment more.

XXIV Corps

Reactions: whistlepig

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gu4essing that your favorite spirit is WhistlePig. I've tried a couple of the less expensive variants.

My standard load duplicates the FGMM 175 (GM762M2). 43 grains of IMR 4064 under a 175 SMK in a commercial case, 42.5 grains in an LC 15.
What is a FGMM 175 (GM762M2).

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
WEll - welcome to the M14 crack-house. 😁 Bringing home an M14 is in the vicinity of bringing home a mistress. She will do things the Mrs. won't. - just a joke.

post a pic of her -

Reactions: whistlepig and nf1e

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have decided that I don't have a need for a SuperMatch rifle no longer anytime soon. I will take her apart and use the Fulton receiver on a slightly warmed up TRW barrel/ TRW op rod. I am more in need of a battle rifle - the way things are going right now. The safe-queen can come out to new life later on..when the LRB receivers are back on market...is my thinking. I barely pushed 100 rounds thru the brand new Barnett heavy bull NM. It does not sadden me at all to take apart a nice rifle coz there is a battle rifle waiting to come out.

It is a nice crack-house this place for M14s. 😁

Reactions: nf1e

·
Premium Member
20,855 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Wise choice for your new rifle. I think you will enjoy it. Have you made any decision on optics you might like to use?
I put a USO 12x on this Bula Defense Systems M-21 DMR which is one of many DMRs in the herd.

Keep an open mind and think about the uses you want to put your M14 to before deciding on any particular load or optic.
One thing that seems to work out for most loaders is the use of small base dies.

Vehicle Plant Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper Vehicle

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Welcome from Texas

Reactions: whistlepig
1 - 20 of 25 Posts