M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen,

Just got done doing the initial cleaning of my new M1a, replaced the spring guide with a Sadlak spring guide and wasn't able to seat the mags. Also, when working the op rod I could "feel" the coils on the spring. The action seems smoother with the standard spring guide, and I was able to get some of my used mags to lock up. The rifle is a Loaded 22" bbl in a walnut stock. Everything is greased correctly, maybe she just needs to have some rounds put through her???..... and then put in the Sadlak guide?? Thanks for any input.GI1

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
When I installed the Sadlak spring guide my magazines locked in very well. Are you definitely using Springfield or CMI mags?

As for "feeling" the spring coils I'd check the inside of the op rod tube for a burr or something. One fellow used some fine sand paper and polished his up. Ted Brown said just go shoot it and it will smooth right out. I tend to think a couple of hundred rounds will help any new rifle operate better. Hope you really enjoy that new rifle!

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Could be the connector lock is not in the correct place and SA Inc. put in a "special" guide to allow for this. You may have to file the hole in the Sadlak guide a little to let it sit further down. Check with a micrometer to see if the hole is the same between them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks High Hat, Yes, all my mags are CMI except for the two from Springfield that came with my rifles.

Thanks to you too Josh. I will check everything you guys noted. Also, I will be"De-virginizing" her on Friday,FRG1 so I'll post a range report when I am done. Josh, If you feel like driving 500 miles, you are more than welcome to join me on Friday. I guess it's 1000 miles round trip.GI8

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Thanks High Hat, Yes, all my mags are CMI except for the two from Springfield that came with my rifles.

Thanks to you too Josh. I will check everything you guys noted. Also, I will be"De-virginizing" her on Friday,FRG1 so I'll post a range report when I am done. Josh, If you feel like driving 500 miles, you are more than welcome to join me on Friday. I guess it's 1000 miles round trip.GI8
I guarantee I will one day, just not today. I'm up to my chin in a house remodel so not much time for anything. 1000 miles round trip isn't bad, I've driven 1200 miles one way to shoot with a guy in Texas for a weekend. Also done 600+ miles in a day to have lunch in Mammoth and come home. Once I get the rifle together an house back together I'll see what I can do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts