M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this one and all I had on hand were some hand loads that I did for my PTR-91. These were 150 gr Hornady Soft Point bullets in LC brass using AA2460 and they clocked at 2650 fps-ish out of the PTR's 18" barrel. These failed to fully cycle the action on the M1A as there was no eject. It was obvious that the action partially cycled since it was easy to hand cycle each time. The load shot about 2 MOA at 100 with the open sights and was very close to zero from the get go. I am assuming that this rifle would run better on heavier bullets at full power so obviously I will step up to those as soon as I can acquire some. I already have Small Base Dies which were used to load the above. In spite of inadequate ammo on hand I can already tell this is going to be my favorite rifle. The only other time I have fired this platform is while qualifying on a jungle range in the Philippines on an M14 while I was in the Navy back in 1990. I have wanted one every since and am loving it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since it is a brand new rifle and nothing super special I figured no one would wonder what it looks like, USNA. I will post target group pics as soon as I come up with a good match grade load and post them along with a few rifle pics!

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
The bullet weight is fine, you are just underpowered. Add 2/10's of a grain until the action cycles. I think you are just missing the mark, it shouldn't take much more.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yeah, I have several very accurate loads using AA2460 and either 125 or 135 SMKs, but both loads run around 43.5 grains. You didn't mention what your load was so it's hard to guess why they aren't cycling until you do. Given 150 gr bullets, I would guess 43 grains or so should get the job done nicely.

Reactions: Bearstopper

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, this load is right at 43 grains. I am thinking a touch more will do it also. I have some 4895 that I will use also.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yes, this load is right at 43 grains. I am thinking a touch more will do it also. I have some 4895 that I will use also.
If it isn't cycling at 43 grains in military brass, then I would make sure your rifle passes the tilt test and I would also make sure the gas port hole in your barrel is the right size(not sure what that should be), but something is probably wrong if it's not cycling at 43 grains of a2460 using LC/Military brass.

if your 4895 is IMR 4895... start around 41 grains but your sweet spot is going to be close to 41.5 using LC brass, or 42ish with commercial brass.

Please keep in mind my powder ranges were using military brass and not the larger sized commercial brass...

Reactions: Bearstopper

·
Registered
369 Posts
Since it is a brand new rifle and nothing super special I figured no one would wonder what it looks like, USNA. I will post target group pics as soon as I come up with a good match grade load and post them along with a few rifle pics!

Pics are ALWAYS mandatory :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts