M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in receipt of a Boyds solid walnut stock for my M.14.
It's very nice and etc, but here's the thing:
The Boyds site states that these walnut stocks are "finished", but it provides no additional information regarding how the stock was finished or any care and maintenance tips. Boyds is not providing me with an email address for customer service.
Have any other forum members recently got a new Boyds walnut stock?
I don't know if this one has been sealed, or whether I should be oiling it.
Please reply with tips on care and feeding of this stock.
thx
SL

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Finished Boyds' standard stocks have a BLO finish. Any BLO, Chinawood oil, or Tung oil can be used for touch up or recoating. Unfinished Boyds' stocks can be finished with BLO or similar products, or they can be sealed and coated with True Oil, Linspeed Oil, or any Urethane type finish. I like to do mine with a coat of sanding sealer followed by spar Urethane (Minwax Helmsman works well. You can use satin or gloss.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I hated the feel (standing grain whiskers) & look (blotchy matte patches of stain) of my Boyd's walnut stock that came on my SAI Scout so rubbed it down with OOOO steel wool and Star-Brite teak oil. Initially a bit of the stain used ran off bringing the level of darkness down a notch and the appearance of the grain was more apparent. The best part though was the feel - silky smooth. I did one more coat the same way after the first had dried for a week and called it a good job.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Ted,
Thanks for that info. So what you are saying is that my Boyds M-14 stock is 'good to go' as it came out of the box, and that I could use BLO, or one of those other products you
named as for supplementary applications. That's exactly what I needed to know;
it also saves me making a LD call to South Dakota :)^|
Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not fuzzy & blotchy

I hated the feel (standing grain whiskers) & look (blotchy matte patches of stain) of my Boyd's walnut stock ...(then) - silky smooth. I did one more coat the same way after the first had dried for a week ....
MrM-- Hmmm... Maybe our stocks were done by different finishers on different days, or the quality control called in sick that day. My stock, altho not 'silky smooth', feels pretty good, and the stain is uniform.
I just needed to know whether or not it'd been sealed before I went rubbing oil into it and wondering why it didn't soak in. GI9

BTW-- I rather like the look of a lighter-coloured M-14.
I've also got a vintage USGI, and that's purty dark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's how you can finish an unfinished or finished Boyd's. They use BLO on the finished.
Mil-Spec Wood Stock Finish

I sand initially w/ 150 grit and progress to 220. Makes it as smooth as a baby's butt.

1 part Boiled Linseed Oil
1 part Turpentine
¼ part Japan Dryer (optional but recommended)

Mix together. Apply to wood w/ sponge rubbing into the grain thoroughly and set aside for 15 minutes. Use a clean sponge to remove excess finish, let dry for at least one day (or dry to the touch). After allowing it to dry use 0000 steel wool to remove any dried excess until surface sheen is flat. Repeat application three times, use tack cloth between coats. On completing the final coat, use the steel wool lightly. Use the tack cloth after allowing the final coat to fully dry. If a satin sheen finish is desired, apply Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner. If a glossier finish is desired then apply Gunny Paste twice instead the conditioner.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My stock has a rough type finish as well..... I see myself giving it some TLC in the near future

Andy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine's real good.

My Boyds M-14 stock (and handguard) looked pretty good out-of-the-box. After I'd done the requisite woodcarving and fitting I rubbed in two coats of PTO (Pure Tung Oil) rubbing down with 0000 steel wool between coats. It ended up looking like a factory fresh stock, straight from the arsenal. I plan to rub in another coat over the winter, but as of now, it's nice and smooth. Maybe somebody prepped mine while the boss was looking over his shoulder. GI2

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like you did good. I've always used Tung Oil on the Boyds stocks. Just keep adding coats until you get the desired finish. Too much though and it'll build up and resemble a Plastic urethane finish, not what I call desirable on a Military rifle. The sheen can be knocked down with 0000 steel wool though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts