M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a M1A loaded in a Jae Allen G2 100 stock. I bought a a heavy Krieger barrel with a 1:10 twist. I have only a 1000 rounds through the medium weight barrel the M1A came with from Springfield. Should I put the new Krieger barrel on right away, or should I shoot the Springfield barrel a little longer? I'm really curious to see if the Krieger tightens up the groups a bit, which it should.

ThanksGI1

·
Registered
558 Posts
First off, are you doing the barrel work and if so, you do realize whats involved?

Other than that with a 14, a barrel alone may or may not tighten up groups, yes even a Krieger, unless its accompanied with other match conditioning operations on the rifle. In fact your groups may have absolutely nothing to do with the barrel that is installed...

I would research everything that makes a 14 shoot well, what is involved with changing a barrel on a 14, develop a plan of action, acquire any tools or other parts you might need, and in the meantime, shoot the sh!t out of the one already installed....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned I know of a gun smith who works on the M14 and will install the Krieger barrel cut with a match chamber. I have a Sadlak coated gas piston, Sadlak mount, and a Sadlak spring guide installed on the rifle. With all of this and the Springfield barrel I can get .75" groups if I do my part. I bought the Krieger thinking it will add some weight and shoot a little better when the barrel gets hot.

But I guess the Springfield barrel is relatively new with only 1000 rounds through it. I just can't stop playing the accuracy game so I bought the new Krieger barrel

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
While it is totaly up to you to deside if you want to replace it at this time, I would leave it alone for another couple of thousand rounds. It sounds like you are getting very good accuracy at present.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I should have mentioned I know of a gun smith who works on the M14 and will install the Krieger barrel cut with a match chamber. I have a Sadlak coated gas piston, Sadlak mount, and a Sadlak spring guide installed on the rifle. With all of this and the Springfield barrel I can get .75" groups if I do my part. I bought the Krieger thinking it will add some weight and shoot a little better when the barrel gets hot.

But I guess the Springfield barrel is relatively new with only 1000 rounds through it. I just can't stop playing the accuracy game so I bought the new Krieger barrel
.75 is very good if that's an average or better. A Krieger is a great barrel, no doubt, but if you are getting .75 you are probably splitting hairs, because of the platform itself. You have a good barrel it sounds like, I would go another 2000 rounds before Id swap it out....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I will do that. I'll shoot the current barrel a little longer and then have the Krieger installed. The .75" groups I can get are average, they can be bigger and then there is the old group that is less then .75", but that is not that common. It seems like another couple of thousand rounds will very easy to shoot off and that Krieger barrel will be on sooner than latter!

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I have several Krieger barrels installed on my rifles. Come to think of it hats all I have installed. If you are getting .75 inch groups leave it alone until the barrel you have is shot out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I going to do. I'll shoot the Springfield barrel for a few more thousand rounds and then have the Krieger barrel installed.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Maybe I will do that. I'll shoot the current barrel a little longer and then have the Krieger installed. The .75" groups I can get are average, they can be bigger and then there is the old group that is less then .75", but that is not that common. It seems like another couple of thousand rounds will very easy to shoot off and that Krieger barrel will be on sooner than latter!
Smart idea. Why let a perfectly good semi-used barrel go to waste? It may never shoot the same if its removed and re-installed down the road. Could easily get damaged removing all the stuff hanging on to it or from putting all those things back on later. May not install the same either. 0.75 is a keeper for sure....

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Sometimes I feel that I am in the Minority Here on this Board when I say " If it don't need fixing, don't Fix it" leave it alone until it starts going South!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You're getting sub-MOA accuracy. That's damn good. I would either sell the krieger and use the money on mags/ammo, or use it for a *new* build.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Yeh, I would vote not to touch a 14 that is shooting sub moa. I just can't see where that would go. I mean you could install that Krieger and not get any improved accuracy at all or maybe even worst. Not because of the barrel but just because things go back together different. It's sort of a crap shoot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2cents and training say don't mess with the fantastic results you are already getting. I remember 8541's (USMC Sniper) that didn't average .75 groups with bolt guns.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are right. I'm going to keep the Krieger barrel and just shoot the Springfield barrel out. At Least I will have the Krieger around when this barrel is on it's way out. After I put all the Sadlak components in to the rifle and added the Jae Allen G2 100 stock this rifle really does shoot good groups. I have days where I mess up the rifle's accuracy, but if I don't, it will shoot sub MOA at a 100 yards consistently.

What would I do with out my M14?!GI1

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I put 5906 rounds thru my SAI barrel before re-barreling and I shoot NRA High Power matches at least twice a month. I re-barreled after my scores really went downhill. Discovered SAI had lightly screwed my barrel in and had taken a number of other shortcuts.
I replaced it with a Krieger heavy stainless. It now has 1759 rounds thru it and will be replaced at the 5000 round point- about 18 months from now.
However, my other rifle now has 11000 rounds thru it, shoots 2-4 MOA and will get its barrel changed at 18000 rounds. 2-4 MOA is still minute of man at 600 yards.
I say keep your original until you have 4000 rounds or better then change it out. You have the barrel already so now you can concentrate on other things, like powder, primers, bullets or Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal......

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Ripper is correct. I would not even think about changing the barrel till you had at least 4,000 rounds through it for the reasons he mentioned. We found that good Douglas barrels, and that is what you have in the rifle, will shoot around 4,500 rounds or more of gilt edge NM accuracy before they go downhill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts