M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Post WWII carbine made for the police. Sometime known as the Model of 1950. They were made in 7x57, 8x57 and .30-06, depending on which country they were going to. Most are pretty beat up, with worn crowns from improper cleaning techniques. Corrosive ammunition didn't help any. The ones that stayed in Belgium are usually in the nicest condition. They also command a premium.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I agree with KurtC about the crown and rifling at the end of the bore. Having a good look at the barrel crown and rifling has a major impact on what I will pay. Finding a barrel replacement for a great condition Rifle is real hard to do.

And although the stock looks good in this photo they usually have lots of small handling and storage rack marks. Butt plates take lots of abuse also.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Oddly there is no mention of this rifle in Olsons Mauser book or my early Mauser book by Ball, though I guess later editions mention it.
I gather they came in both '06 and 7.62 NATO.
Shooting it wont be "polite", LOL, but wont be too bad with ball type loads, and wont be as loud as an M44 Mosi Nag, few things are!

Just beware many old mil Mausers have lots of pitting below the wood line. I bought what looked like a half decent Brazilian Mauser a few years ago that was so badly pitted below the wood as to make it unsafe to shoot, to which my gunsmith FFL guy and I both agreed.
Seller would not take it back so I ended up parting it out at a loss.
The GB process for getting my money back was so full of extra costs and work for me it just wasnt worth the bother.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Reminds me of a Remington Mdl 600 in .350 Remington Magnum that I had for a few years. It had robust recoil.

Much more happy with my Mauser cavalry carbine in 7mm Mauser.

Reactions: JeffG

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
30.06 and 308 went to Morocco. The receiver ring were notch to fit the longer 30.06 ammo. Receiver had no crest on the 2 different rifles shown in my book, not sure if they were removed or no crest at all from manufacture.

If the bore is bad, you can always install a new barrel, Lothar Walther makes military barrels for Mausers, if that is what you desire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts