M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got to admit up front that I've always loved the Remington 700 rifles, had many of them over the years .
So when this post went up I jumped on it:
https://www.m14forum.com/threads/so...-usmc-sniper-rifle-clone.516539/#post-4641169

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet because of Deer season around here, that is my deal with my cousin, I could build range on the farm but no shooting while any hunting season is in. That's another story.

I was so impressed when I finally got the rifle in my hands that I began researching the M40s some more.

Uh oh . . gotta go, be right back . . .

I'm back, that was my dog fussing outside, Coyotes around here, gotta keep an eye out for them.

We'll in my research I was contacted by Pvt. Joker in another forum he said he may be selling his other M40. I asked him to let me know if and when, which he did. So when this post came up I was right on it.
https://www.m14forum.com/threads/sold-remington-700-m40-vietnam-era-usmc-sniper-rifle-clone.520884/

I really love these M40s. Oh, and Pvt. Joker sent me this email the other night with two pics for me.
It simply said: "I taped up a quarter to a target at 100 yards last year."
The pics:
Gramophone record Data storage device Font Circle Dvd

Finger Currency Art Nickel Money

So you guys are going to get a lot of questions from me on these rifles.

· Registered
1,400 Posts
Speaking of range, there is an additional 66 acres here that was sold off from the previous owner. I've been staying friendly with all my neighbors. Especially the farmer who purchased the land. I'd love to walkout my back yard to a nice 600ish yard range. Will be mapping it out this spring. There may even be a spot pushing about 700. Then again, as I viewed the area, my mind may have been playing tricks on me.....LOL

With my morning coffee, here's to high hopes.

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Speaking of range, there is an additional 66 acres here that was sold off from the previous owner. I've been staying friendly with all my neighbors. Especially the farmer who purchased the land. I'd love to walkout my back yard to a nice 600ish yard range. Will be mapping it out this spring. There may even be a spot pushing about 700. Then again, as I viewed the area, my mind may have been playing tricks on me.....LOL

With my morning coffee, here's to high hopes.
I made a big mistake when building my 100 yard range back maybe 10 years ago in my pre-M14 era.
I could have gone back 300, or maybe 600 yards, but my shooting days were winding down, a lot of buddies were getting gimp with age, some died, etc. So I figured my days shooting would mainly consist of blasting tin cans and milk jugs with my AR, et al, at less than 100 yards. I'll post some pics of my range later.

One day about 2 years ago one of my best buddies for 25 years came up to shoot his Uzi
Shooting range Combat pistol shooting Air gun Outdoor recreation Tree

and we got talking about things we should have done when we were young. I mentioned that I regret never getting a M1A/M14. He says: "Why didn't you ever mention this before? I've got a Norinco that been sitting in my closet for 30 years that you can have." That is the very moment I realized my short sighted short range build!
Now I'm trying to figure out where to shoot these M40s out a little further. There's hundreds of acres here but any long distance shooting is going to have to be seasonal as this is a working farm. Not to mention my cousin has friends who come and go, so I just can't walk out and start shooting.

Anyway, just thought I'd jump in here and get to know you M40 guys.

Thanks for listening!

· Premium Member
22,383 Posts
Awesome on the 2 M40s.
I shot Hawk's M40 on my range a few years ago and enjoyed it. His M40 absolutely loved M118 LR. It was fun to shoot a reproduction of a piece of history. I do like my 700s. My favorite is in a Bell and Carlson chassis. Hopefully to get set in a JAE if I live long enough.

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful pair of rifles you have there, I’m green with envy. I don’t think such repros even exist here in Switzerland.
Original owner told me he used to build Black Powder rifles by hand mostly.
He carved the stocks out of solid planks of wood!
He really put some time into these rifles.

· Registered
5,360 Posts
Congrats on your purchases. Those two look nice. I have one M40 replica, and I kind-of like its retro/simplicity. (I do recall that recoil w/ the light rifle and metal buttplate will eventually leave a little shoulder bruise if you do a lot of shooting at the range...just an fyi). I need to use this a little more, but been mostly focused on M1As the past few years.
Green Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Anyhow, hope you get to enjoy it. There's a lot of info on that platform here: Main Forum - M40rifle.com The best book on them is probably Peter Senich's 'The One-Round War' (1996)

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome on the 2 M40s.
I shot Hawk's M40 on my range a few years ago and enjoyed it. His M40 absolutely loved M118 LR. It was fun to shoot a reproduction of a piece of history. I do like my 700s. My favorite is in a Bell and Carlson chassis. Hopefully to get set in a JAE if I live long enough.
I've got some M118 Match from 1967 and 1970.
Can't wait to see what these guys will do with this ammo.
Have to admit, I got both of these rifles intending to decide which one I liked better . . . you can guess how this is going to end up.

Did you see Pvt. Joker's targets above?

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on your purchases. Those two look nice. I have one M40 replica, and I kind-of like its retro/simplicity. (I do recall that recoil w/ the light rifle and metal buttplate will eventually leave a little shoulder bruise if you do a lot of shooting at the range...just an fyi). I need to use this a little more, but been mostly focused on M1As the past few years.
View attachment 469514
Anyhow, hope you get to enjoy it. There's a lot of info on that platform here: Main Forum - M40rifle.com
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You should have seen my shoulder after I got my first Garand!
Can't even tell you how many rounds I did that day.
Who made that case? Nice fit there.

· Registered
5,360 Posts
Who made that case? Nice fit there.
It's an old vintage case made, either an old Protecto-Caddy that lost it logo, or I think Hoppes made them afterwards. It was in a dusty corner of a local gun shop as a used case, and its not high quality, but its similar to the original cases from the 1970-80s. I think I paid $40 for it.

Fwiw, the original M40s were shipped from Remington in brown Protecto-Caddy cases, and later in the 1980s the USMC used green cases. (My case is likely 5" or 6" longer than the original brown case shown below). However, you would be shocked at what an original brown/tan Protecto-Caddy case like this one would sell for on eBay if it's the right size. The "Cult of the M40" goes gaga over these old cases, although they are quite flimsy compared to contemporary cases. (This rifle belongs to another forum member who posted pics a while back. Not mine, but it's very nice).

Automotive exterior Trigger Gas Wood Gun accessory

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 469514
Anyhow, hope you get to enjoy it. There's a lot of info on that platform here: Main Forum - M40rifle.com The best book on them is probably Peter Senich's 'The One-Round War' (1996)
You said: "Peter Senich's 'The One-Round War' (1996)"
Just quickly looking prices range from $20.00 to upwards of 100.
What is difference?
Don't have time right now for detail search, neighbor coming to help me with my shop re hab.

· Registered
331 Posts
You said: "Peter Senich's 'The One-Round War' (1996)"
Just quickly looking prices range from $20.00 to upwards of 100.
What is difference?
Don't have time right now for detail search, neighbor coming to help me with my shop re hab.
One Round War is a fantastic book, it has a ton of information on the M40 program. Also pick up a copy of Chandler's Death From Afar volume 1. Chandler's books are piecemeal with random information scattered throughout, but it's excellent information. I highly recommend buying a copy of that book as well. His other DFA books are good and have some M40 information, but volume 1 is an absolute "must have" item.

Your clones look great, please post pics if you take them hunting, it's always good seeing M40's doing what they were made to do! If you ever decide to make a visual change so they'll look more like the original rifles, contact Mark Williams at Raven Rifles and have him do the clip slot, bullet nose cut, thumb cut and left rail cut on the receiver. This is just for cosmetic purposes, it's not a necessity. Just something to consider as you do more research. Let me know if I can help with anything, I love M40's!

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One Round War is a fantastic book, it has a ton of information on the M40 program. Also pick up a copy of Chandler's Death From Afar volume 1. Chandler's books are piecemeal with random information scattered throughout, but it's excellent information. I highly recommend buying a copy of that book as well. His other DFA books are good and have some M40 information, but volume 1 is an absolute "must have" item.

Your clones look great, please post pics if you take them hunting, it's always good seeing M40's doing what they were made to do! If you ever decide to make a visual change so they'll look more like the original rifles, contact Mark Williams at Raven Rifles and have him do the clip slot, bullet nose cut, thumb cut and left rail cut on the receiver. This is just for cosmetic purposes, it's not a necessity. Just something to consider as you do more research. Let me know if I can help with anything, I love M40's!
This is where they're going to work to earn their keep.
Smile Sky Ecoregion Tire Plant

· Super Moderator
3,991 Posts
When I finished up my M40 Replica project it was a big day for me as it was a long journey to the finish line. This is one of my favorite rifles in my collection and she is an excellent shooter!

I painted the scope to replicate the fading pattern on one of the original scopes - it’s not the real thing, but I had to get creative. The rifle is primarily built to specifications. The stock is a Taylor Engineering piece that was in raw condition that finished.

Camouflage Air gun Military camouflage Shotgun Trigger

Below is the link to the build that I posted when I finished.

M1Army

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just ordered Chandler's Death From Afar volume 1 and volume 2. Thanks for the heads up.
Can you translate this for me please?
"contact Mark Williams at Raven Rifles and have him do the clip slot, bullet nose cut, thumb cut and left rail cut on the receiver. This is just for cosmetic purposes, it's not a necessity." I'm new to these M40s.

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I finished up my M40 Replica project it was a big day for me as it was a long journey to the finish line. This is one of my favorite rifles in my collection and she is an excellent shooter!

I painted the scope to replicate the fading pattern on one of the original scopes - it’s not the real thing, but I had to get creative. The rifle is primarily built to specifications. The stock is a Taylor Engineering piece that was in raw condition that finished.

View attachment 469690

Below is the link to the build that I posted when I finished.

M1Army
I wish I had your talent, skill, and patience!
You are a master craftsman.

· Registered
331 Posts
Just ordered Chandler's Death From Afar volume 1 and volume 2. Thanks for the heads up.
Can you translate this for me please?
"contact Mark Williams at Raven Rifles and have him do the clip slot, bullet nose cut, thumb cut and left rail cut on the receiver. This is just for cosmetic purposes, it's not a necessity." I'm new to these M40s.
Sorry about just throwing out some random info without explaining it, I'll do my best to properly describe these cuts in the receiver. Once you know what to look for they really stand out. Even though these cuts are purely cosmetic, it's my opinion that they should be on an M40 clone in order to give it a more accurate appearance. I took some photos of 2 Remington 700 rifles, one of them is an original USMC M40 from 1966 and the other is a civilian rifle from 1968.

The first cut I'd like to show you is the most important one for a correct appearance, it's the thumb cut. This was done on the right side of the receiver at the back of the port. In this photo, the original M40 is on top and the civilian rifle is on the bottom. You can clearly see a nice scallop cut on the receiver, which gives the M40 a unique look:

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Wood Cylinder

Here's a photo of the M40 receiver out of it's stock:

Light Automotive tire Bicycle part Carbon Rim

Here's a photo of the civilian receiver out of it's stock:

Bicycle part Cylinder Gas Auto part Wire

The next cut is more subtle and many M40 clone builders choose not to do it, this is the left rail cut. It's not a difficult cut and a few gunsmiths offer this service, Mark Williams is one of the gunsmiths who's mastered it and there's no risk of him ruining the receiver. This cut is basically just extending the opening in the receiver. It's easy to spot because the left rail will extend to about the center of the scope base's windage screw. The original M40 is on top, civilian rifle on the bottom:

Wood Cylinder Material property Gas Trigger

Here's a photo of both rifles lined up at the recoil lug. It's an awkward photo, but it shows how the left rail on the M40 is cut further to the rear of the receiver. It's a little exaggerated in this photo due to the angle the picture was taken, but it's a good representation of the cut:

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle frame Automotive exhaust Trigger

Here's a photo of the left rail cut on the M40 receiver, notice how it ends at about the center of the scope base's windage screw:

Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Camera accessory Bicycle part Audio equipment

Here's a photo of the left rail without the extension cut on the civilian receiver, notice how it ends in front of the scope base's windage screw:

Pen Office supplies Bicycle part Writing implement Audio equipment

· Registered
331 Posts
The final 2 cuts are the bullet nose cut and the clip slot. The clip slot was never actually used on the M40's, since there's a scope in the way, and was included as a reminder of the rifle's target shooting heritage. The bullet nose cut gave clearance for the bullets when loading from a stripper clip, since the overall cartridge length is longer than the receiver's port opening.

Here's a photo of the civilian rifle without these 2 cuts in the receiver:

Light Bicycle part Cylinder Rim Bicycle accessory

Here's a photo of a loose M40 receiver showing both of these cuts in the receiver. The clip slot is in the left circle, the bullet nose cut is in the right circle:

Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Cylinder Rectangle

The clip slot is also a very specific type, here's a photo of the loose M40 receiver showing it in more detail:

Audio equipment Bumper Cable Gadget Font

I used a loose M40 receiver for those photos because I didn't want to take the scope and base off my M40. However, I did take a few photos of that rifle so you can see what these cuts look like when the scope and base are attached to the receiver. Here's the clip slot:

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exhaust

And here's the bullet nose cut:

Bumper Carbon Material property Gas Automotive design

And just for fun, here's a photo of the M40 receiver out of it's stock and looking at these cuts from the underside of the receiver. The bullet nose cut is in the left circle and the clip slot is in the right circle. You can also see the correct 40X marking on the underside of the Redfield scope base:

Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property Auto part

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.